iPhone 4 vs. Droid 2 and Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm with theuerkorn and icepick314, I want official Apple specs only. If Apple won't tell you how fast the processor is, you can't go around relaying second-hand rumors. It might be a 1GHz chip, but they probably down clock it to keep it within the "Apple Experience: Battery Life Specifications (TM)".

Still, its good to see other companies competing with the top dog (Apple). Its sad to see the crap some companies come out with trying to compete with Apple. Motorolla is definitely giving a good chase.

Oh, and what was that reference to FaceTime for? Has anyone benchmarked FaceTime over AT&T's 3G network? Does it work? Will Apple lead the Video-Conferencing revolution that AT&T itself failed to kick-off many times before (remember when video phones were common gifts on Double Dare and Wheel of Fortune and whatnot back in the 90's)? Video Conferencing might be a neat gimmick, but only the most mobile business people will use it, everyone else will put it in a folder with their various fart apps.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
What is this Droid 2 launch of which you speak? It's rumored to be coming for the holidays, Verizon hasn't even suggested it's being marketed yet so it will probably come a good bit after the DX launch.

I would love to hear otherwise, but it seems like the Droid progress is getting really slow lately. First the 2.2 update gets bogged to the point of being beyond the horizon, then the Incredible gets massively delayed due to stockouts, and now the new Verizon Droid phones (that aren't even coming with 2.2) are still weeks and/or months away from launching.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
FaceTime? Is that eating up your soon-to-be very expensive data plan? If so, why is it touted as something akin to the best thing since sliced bread?
And the conclusion is very biased. A toss-up? Seriously, if one takes a look at the specs, one can see that the Droids are taking the lead in about 90% of them. If anything, it is a clear argument for the Droids.
The last paragraph sums it all up, but that is something we already knew. Personal preferences... Really, I would like to know what kind of news is this article bringing up to the table, if any.

G

The iPhone 4G is head above shoulders over any other smartphone. The Android Market Place which is at about 27 thousand apps which 90% are tinky dink don't compare to the Apple App Store which carry now over 155 thousand apps on the new 4G operating system dwarf all competition in not just amount, but app quality. I own a app that automatically starts my car, I have the translated app which is seen in the commercial for when I travel to Europe in the summer. Now the 4GS is carrying a better camera with the Apple Photo Enhancer app. Along with multitasking (unlike any other device), video calling, and everything I enjoyed with my 2G and 3GS. Tell me a phone that comes close. The Droid devices are known for freezing and powering off issues, the experience with the droids are mediocre unless you are one that has never used a PDA before. Then if you were to give that same person a iPhone they would never look back. Tomorrow when the iPhone is released at stores they'll sell out before lunch. AT&T has special hours for tomorrow because of the iPhone, those that don't love the iPhone either don't like AT&T, don't like touchscreen devices, or has never used one. I have the phone it's the HANDS DOWN best smartphone ever created!

G

@ Brothaman. palm pre os was the first with multitasking, not apple. also its not a 4g phone its iphone 4 still on that slow 3gs. the htc evo 4g kills the iphone 4. dont drop that iphone 4 cause its going to break either the front or back glass. ( What a stupid thing to make)

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
what about the Samsung galaxy s? I was under the impression that it pwned everything, as it was the first to use a new GPU (the sgx 540) since the 3GS first used the 535. new samsung 1ghz processor, 512 ram, rear and front cam 720p recording... variant with keyboard.

is it not out yet or something?

P.S. nice work Brothaman, that's the most flame worthy thing I've read all week.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
also, I can't wait until Google stop manufactures from desecrating their OS to the point that Goolge just can't release one update for all. apparently it's coming in 3.0. once you have that, any further OS updates will just be beamed to you from google, no matter how gay your manufacturer or carrier is. that update can't come soon enough. because then android will be perfect (for me anyway). the update process is a major downer atm...

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
From what we've seen online, the iPhone is running the same chip as the iPad. It might be underclocked, but since we do not know that for sure we posted the iPad CPU/GPU specs.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]FaceTime? Is that eating up your soon-to-be very expensive data plan? If so, why is it touted as something akin to the best thing since sliced bread? And the conclusion is very biased. A toss-up? Seriously, if one takes a look at the specs, one can see that the Droids are taking the lead in about 90% of them. If anything, it is a clear argument for the Droids. The last paragraph sums it all up, but that is something we already knew. Personal preferences... Really, I would like to know what kind of news is this article bringing up to the table, if any.[/citation]

For starters, I am not an iPhone owner, and I never have been. Second, it isn't totally about hardware specs. You have to give Apple credit where credit is due, like with the App Store and design. Plus, when it comes to specs, bigger and newer isn't always better. From what we have seen over the last few weeks, many believe the iPhone camera takes better pictures compared to other, bigger (more MPs) sensors.

-Devin

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
A phone is nothing without a network to use it on.

Should have compared Sprint's offerings, the HTC EVO and the just-announced Samsung Epic 4G.

Sprint has the best network by far for data usage. They have the capacity, they are rolling out 4G, they have the cheapest plans for data, and where they really shine in comparison to Verizon or AT&T is their terms of service. Read the fine print with AT&T or Verizon and compare it to Sprint's.

G

In the article the Droid 2 & Droid X screen is regarded as an "LCD" it is actually a "AMOLED" screen.

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]friendly mr john[/nom]In the article the Droid 2 & Droid X screen is regarded as an "LCD" it is actually a "AMOLED" screen.[/citation]

Actually John, I have read multiple leak stories that claim both droid handsets will use FWVGA or WVGA.

-Devin

G

poor iPhone users....i mean its not entirely their fault. for one, i LOVE my iPods and Apple in general. They are definitely pioneering new frontiers. However, the only reason Apple is going to stay in the smart phone race for the next few years is because they have the best marketing team on earth. Seriously, even Google can't out-market them yet. But Google can out-buy them, which is what they're doing this very moment....looking for a new company to swallow to give them more tech.
In my opinion:
iPhone 4G = Great Phone/not gonna change for another year or two!
any Android = Great Phone/endless possibilities, always evolving!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]From what we've seen online, the iPhone is running the same chip as the iPad. It might be underclocked, but since we do not know that for sure we posted the iPad CPU/GPU specs.[/citation]
Fair enough, but it's still an A4 and not the listed A8
[citation][nom]dconnors[/nom]Plus, when it comes to specs, bigger and newer isn't always better. ... many believe the iPhone camera takes better pictures compared to other, bigger (more MPs) sensors.-Devin[/citation]
I'll buy that any day. Was a bad habit in the digital camera world and manufacturers finally seem to come to their senses a little bit (while many users are still a bit lagging behind). The cell phone camera chips are even smaller and picture quality is meaningless when expressed in MPx. Bigger is only better when it comes to advertising.

G

The Android marketplace is a disaster. Love or hate Apple, the App Store kicks the bejeezus out of the Android marketplace. Facetime is WIFI only so the whole data plan issue is FUD. The usability of the Droid phones is horrible compared to the iphone's usability (my opinion). Yes, AT&T sucks. Yes, the Droid is hackable as all hell and that's cool as can be. Fact is the two OS' have vastly different goals that appeal to vastly different users. Use the one that's best for you.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]xmlblog@gmailcom[/nom]Use the one that's best for you.[/citation]

I think that's exactly what the article said.

I'm betting that by the time my contract is up with AT&T that a higher resolution Android phone will be out with a full qwerty keyboard (Droid 2) and overall better hardware specs (faster CPU/GPU and more included memory).

The competition is brisk and development within the Android phones has been picking up pace. Right now the best upgrade from an older iPhone is the next iPhone. It gives a consistent upgrade feature for feature without sacrificing (save the reception issue) anything you currently use.

odannyboy000

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]FaceTime? Is that eating up your soon-to-be very expensive data plan?[/citation]

FaceTime only works on a WiFi connection...3G won't work, so I highly doubt its hurting anyones data plan

Status
Not open for further replies.