iPhone 4S Sales Help Apple Shares Reach All-time High

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I really can't understand this Apple phenomenon. I've been waiting for things to settle down after the initial bang, I always though (still think) iPhones and iPads are fads, but the phenomenon keeps getting bigger.
I really can't understand this. This is illogical, and insults any tech loving guy.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]I really can't understand this Apple phenomenon. I've been waiting for things to settle down after the initial bang, I always though (still think) iPhones and iPads are fads, but the phenomenon keeps getting bigger.I really can't understand this. This is illogical, and insults any tech loving guy.[/citation]
Most people don't care how something works. They just want it to work. Yes, the inner engineer in me is made sad by these products sometimes, but my inner minimalist appreciates (but won't so so far as to buy) the Apple iProducts. Sleek sells. Elegance (which means simplicity) is sexy.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Not to sound insensitive or anything, but Jobs' death was probably the best marketing device/hype engine that apple could ever get. EVERYONE talked and discussed his death, and there were also heaps of interweb debates as well on why he shouldn't be praised this much owing to the fact that his contributions weren't nearly as significant as other's, such as Newton or Einstein. The amount of articles and coverage generated on his death is massive.

The point is, I'm not surprised that iphone sales were so good. No one should be. Everyone was exposed to Jobs' death, and by extension, his products, and it would make sense that everyone would want to be a part of his legacy, no matter how expensive it was (and still is).

I think this is pretty similar to the case of all the POSTHUMOUS awards given out to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of the Joker. He was *fantastic*, don't get me wrong, but would he have clean-sweeped the Emmy's if not for his death? I don't think so.

Death is an excellent publicity tool.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]I really can't understand this Apple phenomenon. I've been waiting for things to settle down after the initial bang, I always though (still think) iPhones and iPads are fads, but the phenomenon keeps getting bigger.I really can't understand this. This is illogical, and insults any tech loving guy.[/citation]

You should seriously consider what the iPhone 4S has, instead of 'dismissing it' as a 'fad'. Right now, you simply can't get better graphics performance from any phone, it has THE fastest CPU/GPU. Siri is apparently excellent (from people who've been using it) and it has access to the biggest app library in the world. It may actually be a pleasant surprise for you to be able to use a phone without spending hours and hours of your time installing new ROM's to get it to do what you want.

It's popular for several, very good reasons - which all the reviews make very clear.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
If you'd have invested £1000 into apple in april with a broker fee of £15 you'd have made yourself roughly £100. Just a bit of trivia!

buffdaddysmurf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You should seriously consider what the iPhone 4S has, instead of 'dismissing it' as a 'fad'. Right now, you simply can't get better graphics performance from any phone, it has THE fastest CPU/GPU. Siri is apparently excellent (from people who've been using it) and it has access to the biggest app library in the world. It may actually be a pleasant surprise for you to be able to use a phone without spending hours and hours of your time installing new ROM's to get it to do what you want.It's popular for several, very good reasons - which all the reviews make very clear.[/citation]

[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You should seriously consider what the iPhone 4S has, instead of 'dismissing it' as a 'fad'. Right now, you simply can't get better graphics performance from any phone, it has THE fastest CPU/GPU. Siri is apparently excellent (from people who've been using it) and it has access to the biggest app library in the world. It may actually be a pleasant surprise for you to be able to use a phone without spending hours and hours of your time installing new ROM's to get it to do what you want.It's popular for several, very good reasons - which all the reviews make very clear.[/citation]

Very well said and true but there really is no point arguing with Fandroids who always talk about choice but insult anyone who chooses anything else other then the weekly "This is the greatest Android phone". Android is a nice choice for many but I personally think WM7 is pretty dam awesome as well as IPhone. Choice is great. To each his own. (You wont ever hear Fandroids says that)

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Apple does what it does well. It's not just the packaging, come on, as a phone yes it's missing things LTE, NFC, etc ... however, the overall , fit, finish, polish and OS are superb. And the fact is even as a power user you can ssh into that bad boy and start doing all kinds of things, jail break away. I'm not a fan boy, but the bottom line, is the overall package is very seductive, overpriced but seductive.

I mean it's like having the hot chick, you can take the time to get to know her inner her which might be quite intriguing, if you want to, but the reality is the packaging sure is sweet and interesting enough to get you going.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
for me the Iphone and the Ipod are the only distinguished technologies Apple has ever come up with. The Iphone is very easy to use and is good looking as well. The Ipod revolutionized what MP3 players can do and forced others to innovate to stay competitive.

I personally use an android but would never scoff at an Iphone user for their choice. Now Apple computers ... that is another topic I won't discuss here.

tomrippity02

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Apple does what it does well. It's not just the packaging, come on, as a phone yes it's missing things LTE, NFC, etc ... however, the overall , fit, finish, polish and OS are superb. And the fact is even as a power user you can ssh into that bad boy and start doing all kinds of things, jail break away. I'm not a fan boy, but the bottom line, is the overall package is very seductive, overpriced but seductive. I mean it's like having the hot chick, you can take the time to get to know her inner her which might be quite intriguing, if you want to, but the reality is the packaging sure is sweet and interesting enough to get you going.[/citation]

The post to which he replied didn't even mention Android. He could have a blackberry or windows phone.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]Why are Apple products so popular?Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers.[/citation]

Never underestimate the power of the Majority.
Example, when the whole world is insane and you're the only sane person, then you might want to take a different perspective, maybe you're the insane one. The power of majority.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tomrippity02[/nom]The post to which he replied didn't even mention Android. He could have a blackberry or windows phone.[/citation]

Thank you! I am the original poster. And I have Windows on my phone, so no Apple bashing Fandroid here.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]Never underestimate the power of the Majority.Example, when the whole world is insane and you're the only sane person, then you might want to take a different perspective, maybe you're the insane one. The power of majority.[/citation]
So I guess the Backstreet Boys were good!

Status
Not open for further replies.