iPhone 4S Sales Top Four Million in First Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
If I were to take a guess, I'd say the main reason it topped 4 million is probably due to a bunch of Sprint adopters. I'd really like to see these numbers broken down by carrier.

jiangyi

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Now I wonder if the Nexus Prime will top that... Probably not, because most people go all "Oooh! Shiny!" over Apple, but still, an Android guy can dream, can't he?

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
iphone 4s may be a good smartphone for a first time iphone buyer, but iphone 4 users shouldn't ditch their iphone 4 for this.
why isn't china on that list of countries? apple has a huge market for iproducts there.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I upgraded to the 4s from a 3GS and I must say.. It's a very nice phone. The screen still blows me away. It also loads games 10x quicker than before!

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That's a lot of people buying a disappointing release...but then again there were a lot of 3GS users that are looking to upgrade.[/citation]

Exactly. When you compare the 4S to the 3GS it's a no-brainer to upgrade, so I'm not surprised. The 3GS sold 3 million in a month, and all those users have probably been waiting to upgrade. Couple that with Sprint's sales and first-time iPhone adopters and 4M sounds reasonable at least.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jiangyi[/nom]Now I wonder if the Nexus Prime will top that... Probably not, because most people go all "Oooh! Shiny!" over Apple, but still, an Android guy can dream, can't he?[/citation]
I wish Android would get more attention. Thing is, there are so many Android phones being released, it's difficult to focus on them. And not all of them are great. Apple just has a bigger name unfortunately. A new iPhone releases I'd say once a year, so it makes sense why focusing on the iPhone is much easier than Android phones. I prefer my Android phone over an iPhone, but I honestly feel Android deserves just as much attention as the iPhone.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]SILVER565[/nom]oh iSheep... how brainwashed you are....[/citation]
... maybe, but that means, that i have a brain...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jiangyi[/nom]Now I wonder if the Nexus Prime will top that... Probably not, because most people go all "Oooh! Shiny!" over Apple, but still, an Android guy can dream, can't he?[/citation]

Why does it have to be 'ooooh! Shiny' for someone to buy an Apple product, but of course all the 'Nexus Prime' customers buy for the 'correct reasons'?

The iPhone 4S, objectively, has a massive amount going for it. Can they not buy it in order to have the fastest CPU/GPU combination of any phone right now? Or integrated iCloud? Or smaller size in volume than most Android phones (eg SG2 and probably Prime)? Or could they buy after having customer reviews that make the iPhone 4 the phone with the best customer feedback? Or maybe they want it because it has a higher screen DPI than any Android phone? Or maybe they want access to the largest app library in the world?

There are advantages and disadvantages of both Apple and Android phones, I've clearly just highlighted the advantages here, and I do admit there are advantages on the other side too. The point I'm making, however, is that it's very ignorant to assume that people are buying the phone because it's 'shiny' - when actually all the reasons I gave, on their own, would be enough to justify the purchase for logical reasons. The vast majority of tech-savvy people I know recognise those qualities, and don't have an irrational dislike for Apple. I am within that group, I didn't care if the phone I bought was Apple, Android, whatever. I read all of the reviews, all of the specifications, looked at and tried all the phones, and the iPhone 4 (at the time) was the best available. When I buy again, I'll do the same again, but right now I can't see a better proposition than the iPhone 4S. It's very important for Android that Nexus Prime changes that.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
So, you announce the phone weeks in advance, make people wait before they can pre-order and open the gates at once. The 4,000,000 orders in a week-end is an impressive one-shot and quite a performance for a single manufacturer, but it's not as extreme as they want us to believe, especially when you know that Android phones totalize 550,000 activations a day ... on any "normal" day.
It's just a matter of time before IOS's market share becomes the same as OSX's market share vs. windows (which will still be quite profitable for Apple I am sure).

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dthx[/nom]So, you announce the phone weeks in advance, make people wait before they can pre-order and open the gates at once. The 4,000,000 orders in a week-end is an impressive one-shot and quite a performance for a single manufacturer, but it's not as extreme as they want us to believe, especially when you know that Android phones totalize 550,000 activations a day ... on any "normal" day.It's just a matter of time before IOS's market share becomes the same as OSX's market share vs. windows (which will still be quite profitable for Apple I am sure).[/citation]

I think what you say is true - the Android OS, being as it is, developed for by so many more manufacturers, will probably end up with the lions share of the market.

However, I don't think that that has anything to do with the iPhone 4S sales. Remember, this is a product, not just an OS. These are the best opening sales, of any phone, ever, and I'm sorry but that IS extreme. It's opening sales are vastly, vastly, better than any Android phone has ever dreamt of. Credit where credit is due.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I read all of the reviews, all of the specifications, looked at and tried all the phones, and the iPhone 4 (at the time) was the best available.[/citation]
Certainly it wasn't the fastest...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Certainly it wasn't the fastest...[/citation]

It felt faster than any phone I tried. What phone was faster than the iPhone 4 when it launched?

It also had double the size app store, the best battery life, smallest form factor, highest resolution screen - it allowed me to watch Sky Sports on my mobile (which no other phone does - even today). And it's worked very well for me, I've had no issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.