iPhone 5 Won't Have NFC After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champski

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Near field communication... I'd never heard of it either. Apparently for distances 4cm or less... What use would that have??

G

@chickenhoagie

if i recall correctly, near field communication, kind of like Bluetooth but with embedded protocol for exchange of information, one device can push information to another, the method for handling the information is included into the protocol, exchange can only happen when both device are brought into close proximity of each other (almost touching)

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
they use it here in japan in their credit cards and phones... instead of sliding your card through using the magnetic strip you simply put it next to the NFC receiver in stores (same thing with the phone.. just place it near the receiver) then you sign or punch your pin in to complete the payment... it sounds insecure but it's been working here for years w/o many incidents..

G

^ Huh? i don't think he was bagging out the tech at all, he said it's worked in Japan for years

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Near Field Communication.....people are asking for trouble, all i need is a receiver and will be able to steal your data just by bumping into someone.....apple is doing us a favor if they don't market this so called "Near Field Communication"

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]^ & Yet Japan has one of the lowest theft crimes in the World...[/citation]
the Japanese people are a little better educated, and more respectful

G

@nebun

wont happen, this is not a passive system, secure transactions need to be 'pushed', simply bumping into someone isn't going to get it to send any data

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Champski[/nom]Near field communication... I'd never heard of it either. Apparently for distances 4cm or less... What use would that have??[/citation]

It's probably been explained already but it's basically for stuff like credit cards and contactless payment technology. Instead of putting your pin in / signing for stuff, you simply swipe your phone and the NFC chip in your phone that contains your bank details automatically makes the payment via near field communication. They are implementing the same sort of thing in passports etc.

It's basically technology for technology's sake, i can't see it taking off in phones for a while so i can actually see why Apple are refraining for now.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
apple is doing us a favor if they don't market this so called "Near Field Communication"
And yet, when Apple does implement NFC, it becomes an innovation?

(Of course, at this point in time they don't want to for the reason stated in this article, but sooner or later they would.)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]so they complain about a lack of standard and then they WANT TO MAKE THEIR OWN STANDARD???Seriously fracking hypocrites[/citation]

standard = it works everywhere, cross platform.

in the us, i dont believe there is a set standard, if apple makes one, and get the rights to it, they make more money. personaly i would rather a third party handle this and not apple, because they have a history of f@#$ing us over price wise, last thing i would want is to be forced to have an apple anything to do something not apple related.

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]Near Field Communication.....people are asking for trouble, all i need is a receiver and will be able to steal your data just by bumping into someone.....apple is doing us a favor if they don't market this so called "Near Field Communication"[/citation]

if you want, you can think of it kind of like a bar code. yes people can steal it, potentially... in japan its used for things like train fair and such, to make everything run smoother. i don't think you will see it on credit cards for quite a while, or at least until we all get electronic credit cards, a technology that is already used today and its relitivly cheap. encode the credit card, hold a button to decode it, this way unless the button is pressed the code is useless, and you have to be really close to read anything, so yea.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Great.. another closed Apple system, instead of following the NFC standard that all the other companies are joining. Greedy Apple.

G

Ummm, oyster cards on London Underground! Same principle, can imagine loads of City Commuters who would use their phones as Payment if it was allowed.

Only thing is in some parts of Tube system in London I wouldn't take my Phone out in public!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I am not crazy about making my money more easily removed whether by a criminal or even myself.

If a criminal steals an iPhone, all he has to do it bump it? Maybe cam you with his own iPhone beforehand while entering your pin???

G

There are other uses besides money, and the range isn't that limited. An example is a business has a sign in front of their store and you hold your phone up to it and get a coupon. Or when you walk into a grocery store it reads your grocery list and tells you where everything is. The technology is just the beginning of what other people can come up, or innovate.

Oh wait Apple is the only company that innovates what am I thinking.

G

For those of you who really are missing the point. Near Field Communication is one step closer to a cashless society. You don't need cash. You are monitored on 3 microphones, front and rear facing camera, Google knows all of your calendar appointments and schedule. Near Field Communication will position your location with pin point accuracy. With no cash system, you must have your device with you. So privacy will be a memory of the past because everything you do and everywhere you go will be registered one way or another. Why do you think `your friend Google' decided to call it Android? Because that's what you are becoming, iPhone or not.

You are serfs. You always have been and always will be. Now please utter the word Conspiracy, feel confident in your heart and stay oblivious to your reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.