iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blgn8

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

It's not "a grand".
Apple iPhone 8: $699
Samsung Galaxy 8: $725
Samsung Note8: $930

So; iPhone in comparison is the least expensive. Time to start talking about the "Samsung Tax".
Note: Prices taken from respective manufacturers sites as of 9/22/2017.

ultmast

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Truly, use what you like. There's something to be said for performance, and there's something to be said for comfort and convenience. And everybody wins when the market is competitive and constantly pushing itself.

Harvey_14

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
MOJOEHERB: "Regardless, Apple I-phones always seem to be faster but when the real test comes in, like opening up a web page or even some files"

Wow! How anyone can read an article and view indisputable test results, and still be in denial, is amazing!

Evidence is given of a "real [world] test" in the Video Editing results. This is just one of the many real world things we do on our smartphones.

In the Video Editing test, the iPhone 8 was MORE THAN 4 TIMES FASTER than the "fastest" Android phone. It took only 0:42 for the iPhone 8 to complete the video editing, while it took the Note 8 3:03 minutes, and the S8+ a whopping 4:07 minutes to complete the same video editing.

The results are there, plain as day, for any sentient human to read and comprehend... Yet you apparently are having difficulty absorbing this very easy to understand, objective information.

And there are plenty more real world speed tests between the iPhone 8 and the "best" Android phones, on YouTube. There's even videos of real world speed test showing last year's iPhone 7 beating the "best" Android phones... And since the iPhone 8 is 70% faster than last year's iPhone 7, as proven in this article and tests, "iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)". ??

Harvey_14

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

Wow! How anyone can read an article and view indisputable test results, and still be in denial, is amazing!

Evidence is given of a "real [world] test" in the Video Editing results. This is just one of the many real world things we do on our smartphones.

In the Video Editing test, the iPhone 8 was MORE THAN 4 TIMES FASTER than the "fastest" Android phone. It took only 0:42 for the iPhone 8 to complete the video editing, while it took the Note 8 3:03 minutes, and the S8+ a whopping 4:07 minutes to complete the same video editing.

The results are there, plain as day, for any sentient human to read and comprehend... Yet you apparently are having difficulty absorbing this very easy to understand, objective information.

And there are plenty more real world speed tests between the iPhone 8 and the "best" Android phones, on YouTube. There's even videos of real world speed test showing last year's iPhone 7 beating the "best" Android phones... And since the iPhone 8 is 70% faster than last year's iPhone 7, as proven in this article and tests, "iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)".

And you are not even knowledgeable enough to know the name of the product that you are so critical of. It is not called "I-phone", it's called "iPhone". (And it's not "Same-song", it's "Samsung" ;-)).

doktorkosmos1993

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
5 years ago Apple had worse hardware but better software. iOS 7 started to switch the trend. Nowadays stock Android obliterates iOS but iPhones have better performance/hardware. I like the way android phones are getting. They focus more on software (eg: google pixel) and less on hardware and fancy numbers. Won't upgrade my iPhone 7 to the 8 nor X but rather the LG v30 or Google Pixel 2. Been a good year for smartphones :)

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

It wouldn't be the same quality... when rendering video, there are many settings that influence the speed at which the rendering happens.

samuel.0986

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have an iphone 7 plus with ios 11 just updated ( last night) and a lg g5 with android 7.0. I just do a 3dmark test and wala 3dmark in ios 11 do not show any animation on Ice storm unlimited what that means is that there no stress on the gpu theres no heat on the gpu so the iphone 7/8 are just getting scores with not a real test. The lg g5 runs the test with all the animations. After that test i run sling shot on both with the iphone 7 on perfect condition and the lg with all ready stress on the gpu and warm, the score for the iphone with a new os with updates library and a fresh gpu was 34k and for the lg g5 was 33.8k. The gpu on the iphone 8 is more powerful thant the one on iphone 7 but for a real and closer score we need a benchmark with 3dmark sling shot/ extreme and im sure the score is going be different.

samuel.0986

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have the scores for the sling shot extreme. Iphone 8 sling shot extreme (metal) 2470, lg g5 (open gl es 3.1) 2350 and samsung galaxy s8+ (open gl es 3.1) 3415. Like every one here knows metal is a low-overhead api compared to open gl es 3.1 and even my lg g5 with open gl have the same performance has the new iphone 8 with metal. on the cpu the iphone is more faster thanks the the os but on the gpu side apple still fall in second place. 9-25-17 another test today with the lg g5 in fresh condition and the score was 2528 ^_^ apple still in second place ^_^ even the adreno 530 is more powerful than the new gpu on the iphone 8.

rcie2017

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
OMG! Every single time we get one of these articles it descends into Apple fanboys vs Andoid fanboys.
If you are manically attached to your phone preference, fine, go buy it, but what purpose is served by telling other people how superior your personally preferred product is?
And my 2c… yes, this is an impressively fast processor, but a phone, be it Android or iOS, is not the best showcase for fast performance, it’s not like your using it for CPU intensive tasks…
In other words, being 50% or even 100% faster is not simply not a significant enough factor in your phone purchasing decision, when the slower phones are still fast enough to do all that is asked of them.
I don’t see Note 8 owners complaining about poor performance on their phones, an d I wager that without these benchmarks, no one would notice the difference.

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
How about opening a large file? We downloaded a 5.1 MB map illustration PDF to both the iPhone 8 and Galaxy Note 8 and opened them from their native file managers: the Apple Files app and the My Files app. The iPhone 8 averaged under 0.8 seconds, while the Note 8 averaged 6.41 seconds.

The PDF example isn't quite a fair test, since iOS is pretty much macOS with a changed UI layer.

PDF renderings on macOS are super-fast because the PDF graphic atoms are what power the display system, so PDF rendering on all versions of macOS are startlingly fast.

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
You're pretty much always running into thermal problems. You can overclock until you need a better cooling solution. Liquid nitrogen isn't an option for a smartphone, so thermals are the limiting factor, not technically but practically. What I'd like to see is a mobile processor used in a small Laptop. As others mentioned, the x86 performance might be very good. Maybe even a hybrid OS to save some power like the Google Chrome OS. If the Video render times are that low, I'd like to see these chips embedded in a Laptop that I can well use for productivity. A Surface Book killer should be very well possible

You really wouldn't want to plop a mobile chip into a laptop - you'd want at least a slight redesign to include appropriate thermal sensors and heat transfer points for a cooler - even if its a passive cooler.

That would keep the chip from thermaling out so quickly.

360donuts

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
Well, I'm in Australia and iPhones have always sold for well over $1k compared to an S8 only being just over. You really can't compare iOS to android since iOS is a closed-system and android is entirely open source. Apple has optimised all of the apps for its devices since they all run the same OS and Specs. Android has to support over a million different android devices. So the fact that any android phone comes close to the latest iPhone is impressive. If you put a SD 835 into an iPhone, I can guarantee it would be even faster than these results simply because an iPhone does not require anywhere near as much power as an android device.

ritusingh83930

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I'm an iPhone user since 2010 and can never think to move on Android. Even can't dream.

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are most powerful phones in the market.

JoeHTH

Estimable
Oct 12, 2015
You folks are still buying into the Geekbench BS. Gordon Ung wrote an article on PCMag when the original iPad Pro came out proving that Geekbench was not only worthless, but that the iPad Pro was nowhere near as fast as even an old Surface Pro 3 using real benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.