iPhone Apps Have Unique Data Leaked/Shared Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Wow, so much for all the Apple fanboys telling us that Android sucks because it leaks data, and iPhone is great because Apple doesn't do that...

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I just reread that post on Android data leaks and there was one or two idiot Apple fanboys. The rest was anti google. Soooo before you start flaming phantom Apple fanbois ... give it a rest.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
The bigger the market share, the greater the likelihood of malware/adware/viruses being made for an OS. So the more iPhones you buy = the more hackers/programmers you entice to mess things up.

andyzaharia

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Ok, I'm not going to say anything about android and all that stuff, but UDID stuff is a VERY stupid argument, maybe it has a point somewhere, but its by far not as serious as android "article" :D

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Oh no, now people are going to be sending me Ads to things that I may actually want to read about instead of random junk about things I don't care about. I may just have to buy someting..... back to reality, there is this kind of information floating around anytime you sign up for something. You never really know who knows what about it. Its like there should be one big bank in charge of holding and sharing your private data so that you atleast know who has the proper info and who they have shared it with. But then again that won't work because they will just loose it through something like this.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
In it, his team looked at 57 of the top free applications from the iTunes App Store and found that 68 percent of apps transmitted the UDID.
For you iPhone fanboys, 68% is greater than two-thirds; which means iPhone are MORE insecure than Android phones. So... you guys can get off your high horse now.

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]For you iPhone fanboys, 68% is greater than two-thirds; which means iPhone are MORE insecure than Android phones. So... you guys can get off your high horse now.[/citation]

who are you talking to? Please be specific. scream at a wall much?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Before we all go ape-crazy about this, have all the mobile OS's been vetted for similar problems?
For example if Symbian or Blackberry or Windows Phone apps all do the same thing then we can just chalk it down to a problem inherant with smartphones.
However.
If it turns out that one or more of the others are "clean" then buyer beware, vote with your feet and purchase a smartphone that doesn't spy on you.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Do we think that CBS or Amazon are selling this data to people with "nefarious" purposes, or is that speculation? I imagine the publicity hit and FTC fines would be a good disincentive to misuse of this data.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]If this surprises you, you should stay away from the interwebz.[/citation]

Or at least not download free apps that just imitate the existing mobile web page.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
so what, do people just read the title and go "suck it iphone!"? sure its happening more than android, but its still not as bad as android.

android app store is open and dirty, like some kind of black market, you have to hunt and gamble for the good ones. apple app store is closed and limiting, is there no middle ground? just accept all apps as long, for example, as they don't send your GPS data directly to a mysterious server?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]so what, do people just read the title and go "suck it iphone!"? sure its happening more than android, but its still not as bad as android.android app store is open and dirty, like some kind of black market, you have to hunt and gamble for the good ones. apple app store is closed and limiting, is there no middle ground? just accept all apps as long, for example, as they don't send your GPS data directly to a mysterious server?[/citation]
There is a middle ground
Go to www.download.com

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]so what, do people just read the title and go "suck it iphone!"? sure its happening more than android, but its still not as bad as android.android app store is open and dirty, like some kind of black market, you have to hunt and gamble for the good ones. apple app store is closed and limiting, is there no middle ground? just accept all apps as long, for example, as they don't send your GPS data directly to a mysterious server?[/citation]

I like the black market, basically the whole internet is a free app black market for 1337 people. The threats are the same. So if your are too dumb to know whats what, buy an apple product!

Status
Not open for further replies.