iPhone Consumes 50% World's Mobile Data Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]gsees4ge4[/nom]... prob because the iphone has no wi-fi.[/citation]
It has wifi, but iphone uses are generly stuck all teenagers or people who think its the best thing out and dont know how to turn off wifi

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
mcreskiller sounds as if your a little jealous. LOL i think the numbers speak for themselves, the iphone is a good phone. I have had all sorts of phones, about every three months i don't like my phone, or i get tired of it.. Not with the iphone i enjoy such a seamless piece of technology. Also besides this report is only done via third party requests, it might not be accurate.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mcreskiller[/nom]It has wifi, but iphone uses are generly stuck all teenagers or people who think its the best thing out and dont know how to turn off wifi[/citation]

lol. The ignorance and stupidity exhibited by some commenters on this site is truly hilarious.

Regardless of what you think about Apple or the iPhone any reasonable person would admit that the iPhone has one of the best or THE best mobile browsing experiences available. Perhaps that is why it has so much internet traffic???

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
It only consumes half the traffic that Admob (an adserving site for 15k websites apparentely) serves ads to. In addition Admob serves ads directly into iphone apps.

One other thing, the data only refers to requests from smartphones (e.g. not wap only phones). Their (Admob) data states ALL smartphones account for 44.4% of traffic (so iphone would account for 50% of Admob requests out of 44.4% mobile traffic).

I think the headline is misleading and the data skewed (again). You make your minds up on the accuracy of this...

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Maybe because of all those apps that are being constantly downloaded? How much of that traffic is actually text messaging and phone calls?

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I can see this being a major problem if true. Well at least to the companies (and the subscribers to those companies)that support the iPhone.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
50% of 44.4% = 22% of ALL mobile traffic so its NOT 50% its 22%, also 15,000 websites is no where near ALL websites on the internet, the dta is seriously misleading

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
This is ridiculous reporting. The iPhone exists on really only 1 carrier's network. It might be consuming 50% of AT&T's bandwidth, but isn't touching any other carrier's bandwidth.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
^^^
The report is referring to an amount of the total "used" bandwidth from all carriers that offer data or web access for smart phones, not the total "available" bandwidth.

roldy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Regardless of if or how the data is skewed, the the iphones rich browsing experience has to be half the story here.

AFAIK, RIM compresses received data a great deal, and WM to a lesser degree, but apple does not. MB for MB, iphone web pages are the same size as a desktop equivalent(correct me if I'm wrong). I dunno how efficient android or palms webOS are in comparison, but they havent been out in the wild long enough to put out high numbers worldwide, but give it time. Quite honestly Im surprised androids @20% already.

So for a rough example if bb's compresses incoming data 4x, then its 12%=48% pre-compression. Iphones just consume more data to do the same thing... one thing I dont know is if this data compensates for that.

roldy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Rim compresses data my ass. Iphone apps are compressed from the start, web page data does not use device specific compression so your argument is at best dumb. There is no raw video on the internet so that is compressed too, regardless of device. The reason why Iphone users use it so much is because of the huge amount of data included in the data plan, so they don't worry about browsing, youtubing and downloading apps.[/citation]

Believe what you wish... I wouldnt bother with a data device if it werent for my unlimited mobile package. I used roughly 200-400MB/m when I was on a BB, and I average 1.5GB/m on WM accessing generally the same amount of content.

My provider (telus) wants me to go from my Unlimited-$15/m grandfathered data plan, to $25/m for 500MB if I want an iphone or any HSPA device. So your argument is lost on my personal experience as I would pay more for iphone data. In your defense, telus is unique in that respect as they did just get the iphone, but I digress.

I dont claim to know how, thats what RIM claims. Im just trying to explain what I see in laymans terms. But you can have rim compress your ass as much as you want with that lip of yours. You can disagree with my argument all you want, but clearly youre just looking to argue

the_ordinary_guy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
If a web request is serviced by the BIS (owned by the carrier) or the BES (enterprise users) then the content is compressed before it is delivered to the user's BB. If the request goes through the BES it stills consumes carrier's bandwidth but the compression is performed by the enterprise's servers. Basically, if data traffic has to go through the cellular network it will default to be serviced by the BIS or the BES.

The last scenario is when the browser is configured as Hotspot (in your browser option). In this case, all data traffic goes through the WiFi connection and the content is not compressed.

You can still makes use of the BIS and BES through a WiFi connection and in this case the data will still be compressed.

roldy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
@Smochina:

What part of "laymans terms" and "I dont claim to know how" did you not understand? Brainiac?! Gimme a break. I just think this is relevent to the story. I dont claim to know the whole downstream process of mobile data, Im regurgitating what Ive heard before, dont shoot the messenger. I dont live here, I just come to visit.

@the_ordinary_guy:

Thank you.
I thought BIS/BES might have something to do with data efficiency. I think ive made my point that Im not that in the know with BBs anymore... It has been a while since I went windows!

All this vitriol cause I was agreeing with everyone! This study/data is fishy

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The reasons are a couple for this phenomena.
1. All the browsers on all the available phones, except for iPhone Safari, use the mobile versions of the websites by default. (There's also Opera, but it's not bundled with every phone out there. You need to pay for it. So, makes a very minor percentage)
2. The size discrepence between the mobile version of the site & the full site can be up to 1:100, depending on how "rich" the web site is.
3. To be honest, it's much easier to browse on iPhone Safari than on WM ie6 Mobile, or any other browser out there. Apple made it right, this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.