iPhone Dev Goes After Game Hacker; War

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Total BS, these piraters are just fueling the need for DRM based games. Oh if I still had no life.... Like the cracker obviously does.... I mean a freaking 99 cent game. GET A LIFE

G

If it was a $50 crysis game that sucked and cost a lot of money i can reason with the cracker (lol) but for $1 no, the devs spent 250 hours fora $1 game while a cracker (lol) spends prob 1-3 hours un-doing 250 hours of work on a cheap game. He is just another example of a jackass.

WingedRayeth

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I agree, why waste your time on cracking a game that sells for so little? It sounds like the hacker is making it sound like he is protecting people from bad software. It's a dollar for a phone game, not the next big name Xbox or PS3 title.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Don't get me wrong. cracked stuff is DESTROYING software in general, but if your gonna crack something it may as well be something you KNOW is overpriced in the first place. Not everyone can afford a 600-1000 dollar software package(nor should they need it), but this is just 1 dollar.

nesomumi

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
in this case, i can't defend pirates, only because the price is ridiculously low. but still, the argument part is good, are you so rich you waste your money. 1$ is 1/3 of an work hour worth in Croatia in which i live in, so in any case this is a small money. and you buy 100 useless products, is 100$ no money to. Some sort of test drive should be mandatory, so buyer/consumer can protect him self from fraud. Because as pirates do crack games and aps constantly and that is not legal, that is selling under all moist fraud description is all most illegal as pirates.

G

These guys got publicity because of this hacker, now their sales will increase significantly. Will they share any of the profits with the hacker? I guess not.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
At a dollar they are charging more per dollar capital than almost every $50 game out there. This game is way more overpriced than Crysis which cost $22 million to make. Regardless, it is still stealing. We live in a capitalist economy so if the game is not worth $1 or $50 then don't buy it and send the developers a clear message, not "it may be worth every penny but I am too much of a sleazebag to actually pay you for your work so I'll just steal it and hope you can make a living off the honest people, and that that will be enough for you to keep making games so I can further destroy your livelihood."

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
The crakcer's arguement is flawed not on basis of price but reasoning: yes many applications are garbage and the description doesn't do justice to how the program really will work, but by cracking the game he has made himself judge and jury as to whether or not it really is good, deciding for everyone. There are independent review sites and user ratings for this sort of thing, yes user ratings can be flawed so then hit the review sites. Does the cracker really believe he is right in deciding for everyone if the game is good or not, and he has the right to make it freely distributable therefor?

Also, in the case of the game he cracked, the description and title both state its a wack-a-mole. I've played the game, and the description is actually pretty spot on. I can image a car buyer reading about a car with four wheels, carpet, a drivetrain and a method of steering and stopping, and a notice that says this is all there is to the car, and then the buyer saying "well, it doesn't tell me everything, I should steal it to see if it is exactly as they say!" My response to any such person who'd make that statement would be as follows: "Dumbass, your mother must be ashamed."

Thats exactly what I feel toward the hacker at the moment. Oh, and to the Croatian who somehow tried to justify the hacker: the iPhone costs several hundred Euros in Europe, so you do really expect us to believe that someone who could afford the phone in the first place really would care about $1 applications? Secondly, who's fault is it that a consumer bought 100 applications, the developers or the buyer? Those descriptions are called advertising, advertising is made so idiots will throw money on a product. There is no consumer protection device possible that protects a consumer who is a royal dumbass in all aspects of life. I'm reminded of a customer I had once, I told him that Compact Flourescent lighbulbs consume less energy than incandescent, and the only real draw back was they could be brighter and they had Mercury in them. A week later he came into the store mad as can be because I hadn't told him Mercury was harmful.

pile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
This hacker is why we have DRM. I think he should spend a little jail time and pay back every dollar he stole.

G

I think everyone is in the wrong here.

The person who originally stole the software needs to stop and consider whether or not his cardboard box inquisition is really worth the trouble. People have been writing bad software for decades now, and even if he was able to make everything free tomorrow they would still write that bad software. The only thing people like him do is make it less profitable for people to write great software.

The people who wrote the software need to understand that they wrote frickin WACK-A-MOLE. They should be kissing the feet of whoever owns the rights to that IP for not stringing them up for infringement. 250 man hours spent writing wack-a-mole means they weren't very good at managing the project to begin with. Learn your place and get back to work on whatever Deer Hunter clone sequel you were on before.

E7130

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Don't get me wrong. cracked stuff is DESTROYING software in general, but if your gonna crack something it may as well be something you KNOW is overpriced in the first place. Not everyone can afford a 600-1000 dollar software package(nor should they need it), but this is just 1 dollar.[/citation]

Great point, why bother with such a little toy. I can see why people crack Autodesk products because they are pricey, but one that is $1; he should have went after an app on the store that cost a bit more if he was looking to make a statement.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I don't even know why I bother to answer but everyone is talking about right and wrong as if there is an answer, let everyone decide for themselves the answers to the real questions here. Right and wrong isn't always the same as legal/illegal and the different legal systems across the globe are highlighting this issue

On the crackers side arguments:

1) Should every user be entitled to a demo/preview of an app (regardless of price)?
2) Do you really think that crackers crack applications for profit or do they do it for the fun of it and gain nothing in return (yes crackers buy or get the software by legal means) apart from a shine of fame?
3) Did the "offended couple" get publicity for their game, by exploiting the pirate situation?
4) Do you think that any DRM and the likes except quantum encryption will not break eventually?
5) Does the opposing force of pirated software impose prices that are more appropriate for the product?

To the developers' side arguments:
1) Does sometimes piracy shrink the electronic software market minimizing profits to the limit of mere viability?

To everyone: please use your brains a little more than you already do, the world shouldn't be the way "they" want, it should be the way we the free people/users want. We have power - look at the DRM removal from mp3s from the iTune store. We control the market and we should stop acting like the guardian dogs of the system. Increased piracy in iPhone apps could lead to the establishment of a demo system for apps :p

cream

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
whot a dickhead i bet he would not like it if he had gone into work and done 250hrs and not got payed for it

gosefroba

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
what the hacker has a lot of truth to it believe it or not. The hacker states that the most people who are writing the code are, mediocre programmers with a dream of getting rich quick, which is true to a certain extent. I think hacker has no right to do it, but there is way to much crap on the app store.

G

What a lowlife piece of crap. It's not about the price, it's stealing, pure and simple. I don't expect these people to buy the game, but I do expect them to be honest about their intentions instead of coming up with this garbage justification. It's an insult, pure and simple.

I wouldn't be so pissed off if they just said, "we steal because we can, so deal with it."

G

ah it's not STEALING guys...it's COPYING which is completely different. Don't listen to the RIAA/MPAA hype that it is a 'criminal' act that has somehow deprived the owners of the material. While not agreeing with the hacker's reasoning all I can say is I'm pretty certain the people that have downloaded the game would not have bought it anyway.

And...in doing so the hacker hasn't really reduced sales (all that much I would imagine) but in fact spread the word so to speak. Just think, if MS-DOS and Windows weren't so copied Microsoft probably wouldn't have cornered so much of the market initially.

I believe they will probably sell more than they would have had it not been hacked. Stealing is depriving them of the possibility of using/selling it, copying it does not cause them any more costs (e.g. in manufacturing) than if it never got hacked.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
yeah honestly I don't blame the cracker as he was just doing what he does, its a compulsion... But the cheap skates that actually downloaded it, should be shamed in public their identities should be released as they broke the EULA anyways! that is just sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.