iPhone GPS App Used to Track Down Stolen Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Kuddos to the operator and the officer... This reminds me of that ''Why you shouldn't steal a hacker's machine'' video..

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
officer hurt part sucks, and the car was already an insurance loss as stolen and now probbaly totaled... seems like a net loss to me... i guess eh got his iphone back and stuff in the car but not worth an injured officer, glad the thief got caught and as its texas hope he gets maximum punishment for assualt on an officer, grand theft auto, and fleeing from police then gets life in prison for 3 strikes

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]officer hurt part sucks, and the car was already an insurance loss as stolen and now probbaly totaled... seems like a net loss to me... i guess eh got his iphone back and stuff in the car but not worth an injured officer, glad the thief got caught and as its texas hope he gets maximum punishment for assualt on an officer, grand theft auto, and fleeing from police then gets life in prison for 3 strikes[/citation]

If I was that officer, I'd say it would be worth a couple broken ribs to make sure scumbags like that are off the street for a while.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]If I was that officer, I'd say it would be worth a couple broken ribs to make sure scumbags like that are off the street for a while.[/citation]
lol, you'd be out of ribs in no time, man... There's a lot of scumbags out there.

chosenlast

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Doesn't the protocol followed by the officer seem a little careless? Apprehending multiple perps handcuffed or not I would have not turned my back, regardless of the restraints used. A little cowboy gone wrong if you ask me, but hey, I am not one to judge, just observing.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]chosenlast[/nom]A little cowboy gone wrong if you ask me, but hey, I am not one to judge, just observing.[/citation]

Erh? You just judged, dude... but hey, I am not one to judge, just observing.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
In some states it can take up to 7 auto theft convictions before a thief will actually be sent to a penitentiary.However the fact that this was in Texas and that the suspect ran over a Police Officer
(definitely some felony assault (probably 1st degree) with a deadly weapon weapon charge and/or attempting to murder a Police Officer, this thief will likely spend many decades incarcerated in a Texas Penitentiary.

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]lol, you'd be out of ribs in no time, man... There's a lot of scumbags out there.[/citation]

No, see, every time you break one, you end up with two...so as you go you can handle more scumbags every time!

G

i doubt the story is real. its more iphone advertising to me. Now-a-day. who will leave your phone in the car especially their is easy to stolen. Everyone is carry their phone wherever they go even to toilet.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]greenprince1973[/nom]i doubt the story is real. its more iphone advertising to me. Now-a-day. who will leave your phone in the car especially their is easy to stolen. Everyone is carry their phone wherever they go even to toilet.[/citation]

It is actually true. Was on all the local news stations when it happened.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok this makes no sense: "When he got back, the guy had Houdini'd the cuffs from behind his back to the front, fought with the officer and jumped in my car, dragged him and ran over him". how did he manage to do it? maybe the office needs some more training on how to put those things on.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
nebun: As long as you're not fat, and a bit limber - its not hard to do... its putting your cuffed hands under your butt and to the front.

There were some problems on the Police end of things:
1 - Being that it was a stolen car that was being tracked, a backup car should have been there... considering that the GPS shows the car to be stationary. Wichita Falls, is not a tiny Texas town.

2 - The Police car should have blocked the rover.

3 - Being that there were two suspects, he should have called backup. In typical big cities - even in Texas, there are alway 2 or more officers for an arrest. Its not like we're talking about a lone state trooper.

4 - Glad the officer didn't get hurt too bad, we don't really know all the details.

5 - Land-rover is totaled, rolling a vehicle causes structural damage, busted windows and lots of panel damage.

6 - Car thief will be going to jail for attempted murder on the officer... but will still be getting some rear-entry action.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
1- right

2- not really, as it servers no purpose. And actually can put you in harms way. Theres a reason cops park behind you. Durning the night it also helps them blind you with their lights, durning the day it's as simple as it's easier to shoot something in front of you then behind you.

3-5- right

6-If we're all lucky. But since it's a cop probably will.

I'm curious if this cop is a rookie or just got complacent. Back up should've been routine, and common sense on a call like this.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
O not saying nothing bad about this cop as it does happen, people make mistakes. And while I don't like speeding tickets. I have nothing but respect for cops.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
... for rear entry?

2- (response) : The landrover was in a SONIC, meaning most likely - he was nose in on a car-port. Putting that bumper up on the rover's butt would have kept him in or cause the truck to crash. (BUT) the rover could have also damaged the car-port to cause collapse and injuring or killing others (refer to a video in which a truck with a big-camper trailer hits ceiling on a drive-thru bank... thr roof structure flattens pickup truck ((REALLY)) kills them. Know about the blinding light.

7 - Idiot thief didn't think much (most don't):
(A) they found is in 10 minutes.... how far am I going to get?
(B) How well am I driving with cuffed hands
(C) He'd have gotten 2~5 years for theft (unless likely crime history, add power-up points!!)
(D) Where was he going to go?
(E) And get the cuffs removed or cut off?
(F) Might have been ejected from Rover - resulting in likely death (I doubt he spent the time AND had the ability to put on a seat-belt) = no prison or court costs, just a $500 cremation.

I don't respect ALL cops, they get general respect and their actions and services dictate if they are good or bad cops. I've seen and delt with bad cops. Yet I also have cops in the family ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.