iPhone MMS Coming this Month on AT&T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Um. MMS was promised "later this summer." September 25th is several days past the last day of summer. False advertising anyone? Maybe those lawsuits weren't so frivolous after all.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"The New York Times is reporting otherwise, claiming that the iPhone is actually overloading AT&T's network."

hmm... why I have never heard the same problem coming from iphone carrier in other countries (even w/ MMS function available)?

Is that because we (US customers) download more stuffs and talk way more,.. or is because our AT&T is just way below other countries' standard?

I am afraid taht the answer is pretty clear.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Mms is so yesterday this is not a issue for me as I've been emailing from my phone for years now even before the first gen iPhone I was emailing from my 8125 Cingular smartphone. Where is tethering by the way they also promised? I went from $90 a month with my 2g iPhone to $130 a month now with the 3gs I expect more for my money than just a faster phone for the monthly bill I pay.[/citation]

Emailing is such a pain in the ass. Even if every single one of my friends, family, and co-workers had a phone capable of receiving email with photos I would still prefer to use MMS. Much easier to just receive the picture than it is to launch the email app.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]Isn't MMS locked int o sending images < 30k? I thought there would be more data load sending e-mails with pictures?[/citation]

So far as I know, regular mms is 30k/640x480.

G

I am happy that AT&T feels the squeeze of making those promises they made. For those jeering the U.S. for being slow on expansion: 1. The United States is a fairly massive country and early on the main carriers' concern was spreading coverage, and then later adding more capacity when more subscribers signed up in their respective service areas. 2. Like the article states, local government has the say on who can build what in their city. The permits must be approved for the tower. Any lines going to the tower must also be approved. Compensations must also be addressed if the ideal property is on a citizens property (some of those DSLAMS ATT installed for their U-verse service had to be installed in people's backyards, one is in the corner of my backyard right now). Other countries' central government have almost absolute power. The carriers pay and get approval from the central government, they hand the necessary papers to the carriers and then the carriers build their tower where they need it. If the locals don't like it, too bad.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
/FAIL -begin

[citation]The New York Times is reporting otherwise, claiming that... ..[/citation]

/FAIL -end

Why do I find it hard to believe anything that follows the above words. Well, maybe it has to do with the fact that probably 2 out of 3 New York Times' reports are full of shit!?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
andedfhdfdh@

I agree it is true in many conturies that teh gov have a lot ofcontrol on the system. Bu that still does not give AT&T enough excuse for its poor performance in the States, since there are other network providers in the States have already provide a lot of services that AT&T can't (like MMS and many others)...

by the way... even in the US "If the locals don't like it"... it is still... too bad...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]AT&T fails. Even Rogers of Canada supports MMS and we have a much smaller userbase from which they can draw the funds from.[/citation]
They also have a MUCH smaller user base to support. Im sure the 35 people using MMS on their iPhone in Canada are having no problems at all.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I was all excited for the MMS feature when the 3.0 OS came out... Once i got the feature (Canada) I realized i rarely use it. I would say since 3.0 OS came out I have sent about 10 MMS...

Good to hear you AT&T people are finally getting something which should have been available 5 years ago :)

G

does anybody know if this will include the ability to send video mms to 3g models(not 3gs) as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.