iPhone SMS Security Hole is Real, Scary

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
It might take over your phone, but does it kill it??
If it doesn't, a hard reset would solve it?
Which ones are affected? 1st gen? 3G? 3GS?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Well if it's so serious then get on the ball Apple and fix it![/citation]
"updated firmware is now available on iTunes."

They did.

It is great that somebody found this out and speak up before somebody/some iphones actually get hurt.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]It might take over your phone, but does it kill it??If it doesn't, a hard reset would solve it?Which ones are affected? 1st gen? 3G? 3GS?[/citation]

1. Potentialy yes, it can.
2. In theory one could write something to kill it, but thankfully that hasn't happened yet.
3. All are affected.

Updating your iPhone OS to 3.01 should be a top priority.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]"updated firmware is now available on iTunes."They did.It is great that somebody found this out and speak up before somebody/some iphones actually get hurt.[/citation]
Shhh don't tell anyone.

We DON'T want them to update!!!

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Next the gov will propose a bill to force all samrtphones and computers to run anti-virus software in order to protect our selves from a terrorist plot to gain control over all of our machines in effort to measure the buoyancy of penguin shit in the Mojave desert.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Nah, wait a minute you saying people are figuring out how to hack apple products?! With something as simple as a stupid text message, you mean like an email on a windows machine?!
-sarcasm off

It was bound to happen sooner or later and this won't be the last one, guess what? iphones are popular and are on the top of mobile hackers to do list. Not saying I won't buy apple but it just proves that it doesn't matter what you buy, sh*t happens.

cyberlordmkd

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
If I update my iPhone firmware to 3.0.1 that means that it will un-jailbreak the phone or it's just an update without any "side-effects"?

Thanks, Martin

G

I agree with Glorian completely.

Apple has been able to sneak under the radar and avoid having their flaws pointed out cause they were so small no one really cared.

I think they're about to get hit pretty hard. Welcome to the big time Apple.

ZeroTech

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Well said Zeuss.
Thats the same thing I've been telling my friends whenever they talk about buying a new laptop/desktop.
Hackers want to attack as many people as possible, so the way to go is usually Windows. The moment Apple makes the move into the big leagues (allowing OSX in any machine) all kind of hacks will start appearing.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Actually as was pointed out in several Black Hat articles on other websites today, all CDMA phones running Windows Mobile, Android and the iPhone are all open to SMS hacks due to the way that SMS is written and the carriers implemented it in their phone configurations.

The researchers for this one hack used the iPhone for their platform, two other groups used windows mobile phones from four different manufacturers to do their demonstrations.

All of them were hacked through the SMS features though.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Wait. I thought the only danger to iPhones was if you jailbreak them? Isn't that what Apple has implied? The whole world is only in danger if the iPhone is jailbroken, so we must expend our thoughts and energies on keeping that from happening. Just ignore the man (with the black hat) behind the curtain, who is sending out that SMS.

Not concerned, personally. No iPhone and where I live, the providers charge outrageous fees for text messaging. Besides, I'm old enough to not need texting. Or do they leave it active anyway? Hmmm.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
"remotely crash the device with a single text message"

Ok I give up whats the single text message that wrecks the iphone ??
Seems strange the story is double take hypocritical as well something doesnt add up.

1st part says crashes your iphone, then later in the story, says they now can steal your whole phone from you and all your personal data ??

Story is pretty vague as to purpose of single text message event what it actually does. That message is like some unlock code gives anyone whom types this message access for it. That point doesnt add up to also "Crashes" the iphone?? Which is it a hack for all personal data control over someones iphone, or a SMS sytems bug crashes that protocal which requires a reboot -p

Alot of other data and actions info has to transpire to get selected data off your phone and sent to some unknown hidden hacker, those 2 events alone the data to do that under SMS is not single text oriented for sure.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
DOS all Iphones.

Apple needs to fix this and stop milking their stupid Appstore with useless apps / policing apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.