iPhone Tethering on AT&T Still Unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
you can get it if you download a carrier profile of some website i forget what website though

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
You can get it if you jailbreak the phone for free!

Same is true for the Palm Pre, but the palm guys are cooler about the jailbreaking ("hey guys I know this is awesome but shut up about it or else I'll need to fix it").

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Man, if AT&T truly has "America's Most Reliable 3G Network", the world if f'in screwed. It AT&T can't handle the traffic iPhone tethering incurs, imagine the sad state of affairs in less developed nations.

-OR-

AT&T is just a crappy network, and "not dropping 3G connections" may make you reliable, but no where in that statement does it mention actually getting to transfer data over said 3G connections, something that AT&T has clearly demonstrated they simply don't think feasible.

I like the new Verizon commercials where they talk about how "there's a Map for that too." Gotta love actual data being slammed in AT&T's face.

Of course, I'm a T-Mobile customer, and their 3G coverage is even worse, oh well.

G

Yeah... not too happy about this issue... This week I was finally forced to get a dsl line in our apartment since our neighbors that shared with us moved out. My wife and I used to travel a lot, and it would have been nice to use a laptop instead of an iphone all the time. I would have expected my $60 data bill to include the option to tether >_>
Still, I wouldn't be able to game (imagine an average 300+ ping). The download and upload speeds are not bad though (140KBytes down, 34KBytes UP)

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]"there's a Map for that too." [/citation]

I believe it is "there's an app for that too." ---- And I don't think they are taking a stab at AT&T as much as they are the iPhone ----- It is the iPhone commercials that say that.

scooterlibby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I could have really, really used tethering when my shitty Charter internet went out. I pray to Jebus Apple will end AT&T exclusivity next year so I can jump ship.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
"For tethering, we need to do some additional fine tuning to our systems and networks so that we do deliver a great experience."

Understatement of the year.
FIXED:
"For tethering, we need to basically overhaul our network that we haven't touched since we went to GSM. Then we will do some additional fine tuning after we let the network go live. Why pay for real tuning when you can let the customers do it for you and pay you at the same time. In the meant time we will continue to greatly exaggerate through ad campaigns our systems and networks do deliver a great experience.*"

*Some conditions may apply. 3G speeds are not actually real, just theoretical. If you don't like the experience, even God himself won't be able to cancel the 2 year contract without penalties. See store for details and terrible customer service.

confuzzled11

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
It's called capacity or lack of it. Still a lot of no 3G area with no plans to build it out. We love getting our ass kick by Verizon.

G

Go here http://help.benm.at/usa.php in the iPhone browser, but if you've upgraded your firmware to anything beyond 3.0 or maybe 3.0.1, you'll need to downgrade to achieve tethering via this method. But it does work, or did work for me

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]I believe it is "there's an app for that too." ---- And I don't think they are taking a stab at AT&T as much as they are the iPhone ----- It is the iPhone commercials that say that.[/citation]
The Verizon commercials are "There's a map for that" and they are targeting both ATT and Apple, showing their phones can do apps AND they have better service then ATT.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Tethering on the iphone is slow anyways. If you use bluetooth to connect to the iphone, you will get a 1Mbit connection or less (I get 128kbps up and down) depending on bluetooth performance.

If you use the USB cable, you will notice windows sees the connection as 500KB.

The point is, tethering on the iphone (thanks to apple sucks) has been crippled. So, i am not sure what AT&T is concerned about.

People get a faster connection buy using their SIM card in a USB HSPA+/3G stick up to 7.2Mbps.

G

How to Transfer Contact from iPhone to Computer?
Tansee iPhone Transfer Contact can provide you:
- Backup contacts on iPhone memory to a file.
- Export two types of file format (Antc file, Text file).
- Backup iPhone Contact’s Photos.
- Export full screen of iPhone contact’s Photos.
- View Contacts in Text file format (.txt) or ANTC file format (.antc) on PC.
- Password protection support (ANTC file only
you see,your important messages will be backuped so easily.
Free download Tansee iPhone Transfer Contact
make it yours here
more: http://www.converter123.com/iPhone-Software/Tansee-iPhone-Transfer-Contact.html
Enjoy it
Step 1: Download Tansee iPhone Transfer Contact free trial versionhere, then install the software (skip if done yet).

Step 2: Connect iPhone to your computer.

Step 3: Run Tansee iPhone Transfer Contact , your contacts on iPhone memory will display as shown in your iPhone screen automatically as fig 1. Click on single name, all his or

her information will display as fig 2 shown.

1_114007_1.jpg

Fig 1

1_113806_1.jpg

Fig 2

Step 4-a: In fig 1 situation, you can click button "Copy" to copy all contacts from your iPhone to your computer , then select options:
1: Choose File Type: backup to TXT file, ANTC file or CSV file;
2: Choose File Path: You can change the backup path if you do not use default path.
3: Advanced Option: if you choose ANTC format in step 1, you can add a password to protect the file. Note: We do not know the password, so please do remember it.
Click OK Button to finish the Copy. See fig 3.
Note: You can only copy the first 5 contacts with trail version.

1_113904_1.jpg

Fig 3

Step 4-b: In fig 2 situation, click button "Copy Contact From who" to copy contact of a single person, select options:
1: Choose File Type: Backup contacts to TXT file, and CSV file in single contact transfer;
2: Choose File Path: You can change the backup path if you do not use default path;
3: Advanced Option: Disabled in single contact transfer.
Click OK Button to finish the Copy. See fig 4.
Note: You can only copy the first 5 contacts in trail version.
1_114007_1.jpg

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I can do this with my Windows Mobile phone already :). Poor iPhone people... you're network suck almost as much as your phones...

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm a little fuzzy on tethering. Perhaps someone can fill me in.

Isn't Wi-Fi a better way to connect to the internet? I thought Bluetooth was like a way to upload and download data from a PC to a cell phone. I guess... to like backup the data on the cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.