IPS or TN panel

bajasadrveta

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
So i wanna buy a new laptop for gaming and for college (and work)
I'm a graphic designer so i use a lot of photoshop for photo editing but on the other side i play a lot of single/multi-player games
Should i sacrifice response time for color accuracy
I mean is it that big of a deal?
Plus i want it to have 120hz with G-sync
Laptop i wanna buy can go up to 2500$ and it needs to have gtx 1080 so if u can recommend a few of them

It depends on how important color accuracy is to you. If you are doing photo editing as a personal hobby, then perhaps color accuracy is not very important as long a the photos looks good enough to you. If you do photo editing professionally where color accuracy tends to be more important, then you run the extremely high risk of having your work rejected. Especially if whatever you produce is going to be printed on paper.

If you want a laptop with a G-Sync screen, then you are looking at a TN panel. Additionally, G-Sync requires the nVidia GPU to always be active which cuts into battery life if that is important.

I typically do not look at expensive gaming laptops, but from what I recall laptops with a GTX 1080 generally starts at about $2,600 or $2,700 when not on sale.

bajasadrveta

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Well the prices dropped on a lot of gaming laptops
Battery life doesn't really matter to me
There is couple of laptops with gtx 1080 and a ips G-sync 120hz panel around that price tag but i still don't know if i want an ips or tn
Because i really don't know if response time is that bad for games

Typical response time for TN panels is 2ms while IPS panels is 5ms.

Will you notice a difference in lag time? Don't know. Everyone's brain. It depends on how your brain processes the information your eyes sends to it. It's hard to say until you try it out for yourself.

bajasadrveta

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

It doesn't look legit, because i couldn't find a single review or article on that model with 7700hq and gtx 1080, it's always 7820hq
Plus it doesn't have a 120hz monitor only G-Sync
But it is cheap, way better price to performance then gtx 1070 laptops