is a paid antivirus necessary or will a free one work fine?

shadybk

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015
I am just about to build my first gaming pc and I don't know if I should buy antivirus for it or are free ones good enough to protect my computer? I have heard that avast and avira are two of the best free antivirus, does anyone know if avast or avira come with their own firewall and all of the other things I would need on an antivirus? Do antivirus programs come with malware protection? or do I need sometheing elese for that too?

Solution
I use Avast all the time and put it on all the pc I build.

I would suggest Avast and Malwarebytes as free both together will help protect your pc, however no antivirus or Malware software is as good as common sense.

SykesIT

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
I use Avast all the time and put it on all the pc I build.

I would suggest Avast and Malwarebytes as free both together will help protect your pc, however no antivirus or Malware software is as good as common sense.

Solution

shadybk

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

i know having two antivirus programs can conflict with each other, but can two different antivirus and antimalware conflict with each other? or sre they different programs?

SykesIT

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015
Avast and Malwarebytes are 2 different programs and find different things.

Avast runs all the time and updates automatically, were Malwarebytes (Free) has to be run manually (every so often).

Some people prefer Internet Security Programs that have extra protection and maybe a firewall program but never had an issue or had the need and I go all over the internet downloading.