Is Adaware a virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYTSoldier

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Last night I notification about Adaware extension popped up. It said it could read data such as passwords. I didn't add the extension. Then today I noticed a program called Lavasoft Adaware was installed today which I never did. I removed it. Anyone know anything about this program and if it would have collected my password data?

Solution
Lavasoft is a reputable security software company and it makes different programs including a antivirus and a adware blocker.... so check the Lavasoft products list.. if the installed program is in the list, your Windows is probably safe... of curse there is always the possibility of it being a fake programs so check the program's "About" info, (Help menu/About) and make sure it's the same program you can download from Lavasoft. You can also run your regular antivirus and see how it identifies... or if it even does which would be normal. Also check the video on how to remove the Adware Antivirus.. it should help you check that it's the same sofware.

If the installed program is the Adaware Antivirus, the Extension must have been...

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Lavasoft is a reputable security software company and it makes different programs including a antivirus and a adware blocker.... so check the Lavasoft products list.. if the installed program is in the list, your Windows is probably safe... of curse there is always the possibility of it being a fake programs so check the program's "About" info, (Help menu/About) and make sure it's the same program you can download from Lavasoft. You can also run your regular antivirus and see how it identifies... or if it even does which would be normal. Also check the video on how to remove the Adware Antivirus.. it should help you check that it's the same sofware.

If the installed program is the Adaware Antivirus, the Extension must have been the antivirus browser extension that most antivirus programs add to the internet browser.

How To Competely Remove Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anti-virus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxbxueo_i2U

https://www.adaware.com/

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=Lavasoft+Adaware&rlz=1C1AVFB_enMX799MX799&oq=Lavasoft+Adaware&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j69i60.142700j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Solution

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
No, Adaware is a legitimate program. Provided you got it from a legitimate source. If you don't know where you got it from or why it's on your system, you'd probably be best to uninstall it.

It's a tool for removal of malware, and as the name suggests, particularly adware. It doesn't really make the rounds anymore, as it's a less known name now, but it's not malicious software last I was aware.

In terms of password data - keep in mind many of these apps do have permissions they don't necessarily use. As an example, my keyboard app I use in Android always warns me about its ability to collect credit card data and such, but the app is not malicious. It's just a general requirement for keyboard apps.

But yea - if you have something on your computer that is not a system app, and you don't know why or how it got there, you should probably uninstall it. You can always reinstall it from a legitimate source, if you find you had need of it. I would emphasize it is not malware, but my concern is the fact you're not aware of how you came to have installed it, and the vector there could be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS