Is an apple laptop better for a computer dummy?

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014
More specifically, My mom is wheelchair bound and needs a fulltime nurse. Because my mom is in her 80s and she sleeps a lot, there's a lot of downtime and I've covered a laptop computer for the Nurse in my mom's apt. Debates on who should pay for it don't interest me, I'm paying for it. She's a good nurse and I'm happy to cover a laptop.

Problem, she's from Georgia (the country not the state) and she goes to a lot of Georgian websites, which seem pretty virus prone. She's also not very computer savvy. Every week or so I get a "The computer's not working", and I try to give it a look. Often the problem seems to be the Georgian websites are slow cause I do a test-run on Netflix and the download rate is just fine and the internet speed in the house is good.

The previous laptop, when it died it's final won't reboot anymore death, I did a check on the hard-drive to download the pictures and it had 7 viruses. I'm far from a PC expert, but I know a little bit.

Has to be a 17 inch screen and has to be a laptop, cause she moves it around the house sometimes. Beyond that, I just want it to work consistently and stream news and movies. No gaming, nothing high end. The Dell I-5 that I bought 18 months ago is getting complaints.

Would a macbook pro run more more smoothly and be more virus safe and a better experience for her, or not be much different?

Thanks.

Solution
It can present a site to site problem. If a site built an app instead of just upgrading the site itself to be touch friendly (or mobile friendly). Though the apps can be better than a site if designed correctly as they simplify everything.

The Chromebook really is just Google Chrome so if the sites she visits render correctly on Chrome than the Chromebook will work exactly the same.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could buy one of those mobile computer stands that you sometimes see at hospitals or doctors offices. That would let you use a monitor to really up the screen size, but the whole unit might be to big for your use case. http://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/24-216#/

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

Pair the iPad with a keyboard case and the best of both worlds.

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014
If the iPad came in 17 inches, I'd do that, but I don't think 12.9 inches would suffice. It's table top, but the table gets moved around a lot, that's why she hated the stand alone, which was a bigger screen, but she felt it would be too easily knockedover.

Need light enough to move around but solid base for a small table. 17 inch screen is strongly preferred. 18-19 inch better, but laptops of that size are rare and tend to be pricy. iPad's too small.

So, question stands. Would the mac-book be an upgrade for the facebook using, movie streaming, link clicking and multiple Georgian websites for a non savvy user who might click on the occasional unfriendly.

or would it be about the same as the Dell, prone to slowdowns and viruses. I've never owned an apple. I'm 100% a PC/Microsoft guy cause that's what they use in business most of the time.

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014

Thanks for that. I didn't even know that Chrome Books use a different OS. I'll look into that.

And I get the urge to not let the old lady who drives 52 in the fast lane buy a Lamborghini, but at the same time, what I want is an improved experience, not saved money. I want to reduce the number of times I'm asked "can you fix my computer". I'm OK with spending more to hear that less.

Maybe I can buy a separate monitor/screen and she can plug the iPod into it, and I'll look into chromebooks too, so this is a start. But priority #1 is less susceptible to malware/viruses and less lagging even if she clicks on things she shouldn't. Priority #2 is screen size, and stable base, so it won't get bumped off a small folding table.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
The Chromebook should provide the same amount of idiot proofing (its basically nothing more than Google Chrome) and virus resistance as an iPad. Not to say its invincible though, just not as popular was Windows is. Security through obscurity does help sometimes. I have a Ukrainian working at my place and I'm sure half of my virus problems originated with him visiting old country sites.

But yeah I don't fault you for wanting to provide maximum care (if even indirectly) for your mother and reduce headaches along the way. Good luck.

LTK-33

Estimable
May 5, 2014

This is what I'm thinking, your post got me started. A stand like this, get a 20 inch monitor and the iPad can plug into the monitor when she want's the big screen, or she can unplug it when she wants to move around with it.

This monitor base can be bungie corded to the table, so it'll be stable enough. OK, screen & table problem solved. iPad could work.

But articles like this make me wonder, will she hate it? If she has to download apps to surf the web, what I'm trying to achieve (fewer computer questions), I might get the opposite outcome.

https://gigaom.com/2013/03/03/browsing-the-web-on-an-ipad-stinks-and-apple-likes-it-that-way/

I don't mean to be a pest, I'll keep reading up on this. I thought "safest and easiest way to surf for a novice" was a straight forward question, but maybe it's not.

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
It can present a site to site problem. If a site built an app instead of just upgrading the site itself to be touch friendly (or mobile friendly). Though the apps can be better than a site if designed correctly as they simplify everything.

The Chromebook really is just Google Chrome so if the sites she visits render correctly on Chrome than the Chromebook will work exactly the same.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could buy one of those mobile computer stands that you sometimes see at hospitals or doctors offices. That would let you use a monitor to really up the screen size, but the whole unit might be to big for your use case. http://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/24-216#/

Solution