Is an Ultra HD TV worth it, will it work with my GPU and do games even support that resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mint-ch

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thinking about replacing my TV and I am looking into those 4k Ultra HD TVs that cost around $1000. Specifically I'm looking at Samsung UE50HU6900. The only device hooked up to my TV will be a desktop PC with a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5. The GPU spec says Digital max resolution 4096 X 2160 with HDMI so I'm assuming this should work fine.

Questions:

- Is my assumption correct that I'll be able to render Ultra HD to the TV from my computer?
- Do computer games generally support such a high resolution and if yes, does an average GPU have enough juice for this?
- Will playing on plain old 1920x1080 look good on a higher resolution TV?
- Will I be able to stream Netflix Ultra HD movies with this setup?
- Do you guys recommend that TV?

Solution
industry standard of 4K is 4096 x 2160. But your video card might have a hard time doing it.

It depends on the computer game. go through the menus and look for 4096x2160 or search online forums. But 4K is "new" so there would not be a lot out there.

sorry I have no clue but I do know that recording in 4K and playing it back through a 1080p monitor looks great.

IMHO I would hold off investing in 4K the technology is new and it seems to be evolving. wait for it to be more refined and more available in terms of content. you'll be glad you waited

happyG

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
industry standard of 4K is 4096 x 2160. But your video card might have a hard time doing it.

It depends on the computer game. go through the menus and look for 4096x2160 or search online forums. But 4K is "new" so there would not be a lot out there.

sorry I have no clue but I do know that recording in 4K and playing it back through a 1080p monitor looks great.

IMHO I would hold off investing in 4K the technology is new and it seems to be evolving. wait for it to be more refined and more available in terms of content. you'll be glad you waited

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.