Is antivirus program takes a lot of ram capacity?

aalealp1

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Hello everyone, i will ask a few question regarding antivirus, especially free antivirus ones

1. what is the "best" free antivirus around? is it avast? or anything else? my friend tell me that avast is the best one, but i still in doubt, do you guys have any experience with some of them? what are the features like?

2. besides its protection, i want free antivirus that only take very small amount of ram to operate (not make my pc slow down), i only have 8gb of ram, but decent processor (i7 6700) and i want those antivirus did not hinder my pc performance, most importantly during boot up and gaming

Thank you

Solution
Unfortunately, there is no telling what the best anti-virus software is. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. Some of which I could recommend are Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton. But in all honesty, if you do have windows, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party anti-virus solutions might.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the...

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Unfortunately, there is no telling what the best anti-virus software is. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Currently, Windows natively has its own anti-virus Windows Defender, and it works relatively well. The majority of the popular providers have free versions of their software to test out, and they also do the job. Some of which I could recommend are Comodo, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Norton. But in all honesty, if you do have windows, Windows Defender is your best option, since it doesn’t use that much additional resources, while third party anti-virus solutions might.

With anti-virus, you usually will need to run anti-malware software. Not every single anti-virus has the full package included. Any of the popular software solutions will be solid as well. My recommendations towards ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, I used them all, they did the job.

For in browser solution, you could use an Adblocker to protect you from malicious ads, uBlock takes this one for me.

When it comes to your hardware, you will be fine. Your rig is more than enough to handle 3rd party anti-virus solution. But as I have mentioned, Windows has one natively, and it uses the least amount of resources. You will need to have anti-malware on at all times or you can do regular scans once every couple of days and you should be set.

Good luck!

Solution

aalealp1

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Wow, thank you for your great and detailed answer, i think i will keep using windows defender, and using anti-malware software instead, thank you!

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Glad I could help! And yeah, your best option is Windows Defender, it is safe enough that you shouldn't need to worry. Just be aware of where you are browsing and what you are clicking on, other than that, you are good to go! Good luck!