Is Apple Working on a Game Controller for iPhone and iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Apple would be stupid not to "develop" it's own controller. Just copy the the other controllers, whack an "i" in front of it, mark up the price and voila, brand new Apple controller!!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Apple will bring motion coming, declare it as the next coming and sue Nintendo and MS for Wii and Kinect for infringing on their patent before they thought of it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
hay apple, you want a controler idea... get a case that you slide the ipad/ipod into, that has sticks/buttons, a dpad, 6 buttons, and 2-4 triggers.

there you go, you got all you need.

put out specialty cases for fighting games, and you are set to dominate...

but dont pull a dick move and discontinue support ipod/pad to ipad... if anything, make the controler case a bit bigger than the device and sell an insert to make the next get ipods/pads fit.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
A controller is pretty much all the stands in the way of smartphones replacing handhelds.

What Apple/Android needs to dethrone Nintendo and Sony:

1) The controller needs to either be integrated or in a case slim enough not to make you want to take it off in between gaming sessions. Like cameras, the best gaming device is the one you have with you and keeping track of a phone + temporary case gets in the way.

2) They need to go all out with 2 slide pads/sticks and the standard 4 buttons + shoulder triggers. The rest of the buttons (d-pad, start/select) can just be on screen buttons

3) I would really like to see a larger screen to go along with the controller. 3.5 inches seems overly small compared to a 5 inch PS Vita. 4.5 inches would do nicely

4) Find a way to overcome the stigma phone users have with paying more than $5 for a app/game. If we want the same rich experience you get on a dedicated handheld we need people to be willing to pay $20-30 for brand new games. More than that seems overly high given the digital delivery method but $1 won't support a full dev team

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]A controller is pretty much all the stands in the way of smartphones replacing handhelds.What Apple/Android needs to dethrone Nintendo and Sony:1) The controller needs to either be integrated or in a case slim enough not to make you want to take it off in between gaming sessions. Like cameras, the best gaming device is the one you have with you and keeping track of a phone + temporary case gets in the way.2) They need to go all out with 2 slide pads/sticks and the standard 4 buttons + shoulder triggers. The rest of the buttons (d-pad, start/select) can just be on screen buttons3) I would really like to see a larger screen to go along with the controller. 3.5 inches seems overly small compared to a 5 inch PS Vita. 4.5 inches would do nicely4) Find a way to overcome the stigma phone users have with paying more than $5 for a app/game. If we want the same rich experience you get on a dedicated handheld we need people to be willing to pay $20-30 for brand new games. More than that seems overly high given the digital delivery method but $1 won't support a full dev team[/citation]

most "games" on phones aren't worth more than 10$, and most games that get ported to them are old classics, and they are competing with roms at that point, and its very hard to beat a computer you can plug your old controllers into with an adapter.

they need to make it a case, and not integrate it, because that would ad another skew, not something good for a unified platform.

trust me, if they made a large arcade stick, and you plug the ipad/ipod (preferably ipad) inre and you basically had a portable arcade controls, that would be the best way to go, because most iphone/ipad games are meant to be consumed like arcade games, by the quarter (time investment, not price point)

and with that, you could get a wiiu style case, which from all sources feels great in your hands, and with the ipod, you don't have to compromise the controls for the sake of portability.

the stigma of not paying bigprices for games is because none of them are worth 20-30$

look at most ds and 3ds shovel ware games... would you pay 20-30$ for those?
there are no AAA games on these devices yet, the closest one is infinity blade (i only played 1) and that is SO not a 20-30$ game and was barely worth the what... 15$ i payed for it... its kind of fun, and pretty, but thats it, there is very little replay value in the game besides doing the same crap over and over again infinatly.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Apple seriously lacks a hardcore audience and if they enter the gaming market they're probably gonna get smacked around by Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Nintendo is already getting ranted about but they still at least have a small number of hardcore games to satisfy people. Oh well I'll just sit back at my gaming rig and watch the fireworks i suppose

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Apple seriously lacks a hardcore audience and if they enter the gaming market they're probably gonna get smacked around by Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Nintendo is already getting ranted about but they still at least have a small number of hardcore games to satisfy people. Oh well I'll just sit back at my gaming rig and watch the fireworks i suppose[/citation]

if apple goes into the gameing market and they go in to it seriously, sony is screwed... apple can bring out a new product every year, and make a modest leap forward, look at gen 1 to current gen iphone, could sony really do the same with the psp or psv if they had to?

most sony exclusives also don't lend themselves well to a on the go experience, so even the exclusives wont be missed.

now nintendo... they have a casual to hard core audience, though the latter is a significantly less, but so long as there is a good mario or a good zelda game, the system will live on.

apple has the market in small bs games, most being 1$ while the same style game would cost 20-40$ on the ds... so nintendo loses there. the ipod also has more functionality that nintendo... loses there... the only thing nintendo has over apple is gaming history.

you also have to imagine that if the ipod really does get controles, at least 8 buttons and 2 sticks and 1 dpad, everyone will port their multi platform game to it... getting hardcore games wont be... hard... it will just take longer, and apple has a significant install base...

what the next generation of nintendo and sony need to do is make an os, something that can go from system to system, and games that can go from platform to platform... make it so if i got a game on the psv2 i can play it on the next system, or the system after than and not rebuy it... as i believe first gen apps work on newest gen hardware, correct? that way they can bring out actual new hardware, and not refreshes, faster.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Well laaaaaa deeeee daaaaaaa - I thought the touch screen interface was the way of the future??? Everyone must conform.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Apple would be stupid not to "develop" it's own controller. Just copy the the other controllers, whack an "i" in front of it, mark up the price and voila, brand new Apple controller!!

The i in front would make it magical and revolutionary.... Yes good idea indeed.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]Apple would be stupid not to "develop" it's own controller. Just copy the the other controllers, whack an "i" in front of it, mark up the price and voila, brand new Apple controller!![/citation]
You forgot "revolutionary".

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Apple seriously lacks a hardcore audience and if they enter the gaming market they're probably gonna get smacked around by Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Nintendo is already getting ranted about but they still at least have a small number of hardcore games to satisfy people. Oh well I'll just sit back at my gaming rig and watch the fireworks i suppose[/citation]

Even most hardcore gamers don't buy handheld consoles. That's why the PS Vita is such a flop.
They are expensive, cumbersome single purpose devices with low battery life and way too expensive games.
Why pay $250 + $30 per game for that, if you can play pretty good and cheap games on your phone?

A good, widely supported (!!!) game controller for phones and tablets would be awesome, but I don't think Apple is going to do that unless they can somehow integrate it into the device.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Developing controllers and other attachments for a tablet seems to me like it's defeating the purpose of the tablet, which is to avoid all that. Buy a better equipped device to begin with.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.