Is Comcast Scanning Internet Subscribers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]LATTEH[/nom]if my download speed goes down because of this im switching to fios[/citation]

verizon needs to start expanding more. im stuck with ATT. I might just move just to have a better ISP.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Wow sounds like they are causing a problem for people that they have the only solution for so then they customers are forced into buying they're crap software because most Comcast users and tech savy and wont know how to get rid of the problem themselves.

I have comcast but I never install and internet installation software they try to get you to use.
Ive always been a little paranoid about comcast doing sneaky stuff behind by back.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom] I never install and internet installation software they try to get you to use.Ive always been a little paranoid about comcast doing sneaky stuff behind by back.[/citation]
Its true, they have the ability to access your computer through a backdoor. I found out about it through an tech employee, since I was having problems with their router and Xbox wireless adapter, they don't work together because comcast can't monitor its proper usage.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]Wow sounds like they are causing a problem for people that they have the only solution for so then they customers are forced into buying they're crap software because most Comcast users and tech savy and wont know how to get rid of the problem themselves.I have comcast but I never install and internet installation software they try to get you to use.Ive always been a little paranoid about comcast doing sneaky stuff behind by back.[/citation]
Buying? All comcast customers get the full mcaffee package for free.

leafblower29

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
They actually log every torrent and file you download. I know this because someone I know who has Comcast got an email from Comcast saying so when he downloaded a crack.

Plus their service sucks.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Just because your friend supposedly got one email doesn't mean Comcast is logging every torrent file that anyone downloads. Comcast's service doesn't suck. Their policies may suck but their service is fast and compared to the typical alternatives better most of the time.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Yes I have been notified that my IP was tracked downloading copyright material then gave me the name of it. I was a little upset and a little frightened. What else have they been snooping on? My private emails? I thought torrents files used some sort of encryption while being sent. Either way I am sick and tired of Comcast as they are now throttling (which I thought they ended the practice of) torrent files. I don't trust them at all (comcast that is).

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Oh and my service used to be upwards of 24Mb/s DL and 2Mb/s UL from the east coast to the mid west. Now it's under 10Mb/s DL and under 1Mb/s UL. This all happened in the last week.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i am an installer for comcast. and in my area they do not throttle torrent files. they may throttle the default port but not the files them selves, chant the port you use (in your torrent program) i ruteenly get 2megabytes/sec down on my torrents. also the only way comcast will scan your computer is if you download the comcast desktop doctor, and or tool bar. i haven't herd anything about comcast scanning your computer here but agen im just a installer.

as for buying comcast crap software, comcast does not sell software as was stated previously all comcast internet subscribers get a full version of mcaffee for free.

Its true, they have the ability to access your computer through a backdoor. I found out about it through an tech employee, since I was having problems with their router and Xbox wireless adapter, they don't work together because comcast can't monitor its proper usage.

well comcast can "access" your computer because you have the remote help feature turned on in windows. and the wifi routers we use are standard netgear routers (model depends on the service you have) we used to use those crappy gateways but those still were just modems and routers in one device, and they work just fince with the xbox wifi adapter (i install probably 5 xbox's a month). and on top of that comcast tracks the total traffic though the modem (well technically though the server the modem connects to but what ever)not per device.

and just because i work for them, doesent mean i agree with them. i HATE the comcast software (toolbar and desktop doctor) and i have gotten several calls for going over my 250GB/month cap.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
So many posts about torrents. It seems if you are concerned about privacy you really should learn more about how the bit torrent protocol works. Your ISP looking at your traffic should be the least of your privacy concerns using in-the-clear-torrents. Since ISPs typically are not in the copyrighted material business they have little incentive in turning in their customers. What companies spend time and money on activities that don't generate income or reduce expenses for them.

Look at your BT Client! see all those IPs? Those are people seeding/leaching that torrent, you don't need to be an ISP to see that data.

Clients like OneSwarm are capable of hiding your IP, and provide more anonymity, but sadly most torrents are in the clear and it won't make any difference for those.

Bottom line if you are doing illegal shit on the internet, use caution. Use proxies, encryption, public hotspots, etc, when possible. Learn what logging, tracking policies are in place by the ISP and their policies in giving up that data to 3rd parties.

Don't expect your privacy rights to be around forever, The U.S. Plutocracy, will disassemble that mechanism in time, if it will lead to larger profits. Act now and learn to protect yourself.

iammalkav

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
If they give you Mcaffee that might be the problem with your downloads and uploads. I was running a version that so interfered with my gaming that it was unplayable. I removed the software and poof everything was working fine. Ditch Mcaffee and try some other anti-virus software.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]nitto555rchallenger[/nom]Its true, they have the ability to access your computer through a backdoor. I found out about it through an tech employee, since I was having problems with their router and Xbox wireless adapter, they don't work together because comcast can't monitor its proper usage.[/citation]

No it isn't. Just put your machine behind a firewall and make sure no hosting devices are running to allow remote access.

Status
Not open for further replies.