Is HM55 chipset compatible with desktop processors?

robojin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
i just found out that my laptop is using an LGA 1156 desktop processor socket.
I'm planning to buy core i5-661 desktop processor to upgrade my laptop cpu but I'm wary of how will it work with HM55 chipset.

and uh... as i see from intels website, i3-330M is for BGA 1288 mobile socket. kinda weird. my i3-330M is a mobile processor that is inserted in an LGA 1156 desktop socket.

my laptop is dell inspiron 1564. i3-330M CPU. HM55 chipset.

Solution
The CPU manufacturer is not the same as the motherboard manufacturers.
So the CPUs have to be installed by the OEMs.
That's not the same thing as saying a laptop is 'upgradeable' by an end-user.
It's not an easy process but it can be done. Lots of chances to 'mess up' - be sure you look over some guides and get a good idea if you're up to the job.
Going from the 2.13Ghz i3-380M to the 2.66Ghz i5-5 580M is going to be more of a sideways upgrade.
You should really think about getting the Core i7 640M @ 2.8Ghz, turbo to 3.46Ghz.
It's got the same 35watt Max TDP as the 380M and 580M.

robojin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
is it really possible to upgrade my laptop cpu? everyone around me now is telling me that its exceedingly hard or near impossible. they're not expert technicians so i don't believe them that much.
and whats the point of selling separate mobile processors if all laptops cpu's are non-upgradable.

@WR2. yeahp, after i confirm that my laptop is cpu upgradable. i'll buy i7-640m. i hope it is...

The CPU manufacturer is not the same as the motherboard manufacturers.
So the CPUs have to be installed by the OEMs.
That's not the same thing as saying a laptop is 'upgradeable' by an end-user.
It's not an easy process but it can be done. Lots of chances to 'mess up' - be sure you look over some guides and get a good idea if you're up to the job.

Solution