Is It bad to carry a Laptop that's powered on?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Does it depend on whether the laptop is with spinning mechanical drive or with SSD?

I don't actually need a faster laptop with more expensive SDD hard drive. I want a laptop that will last longer.

If I am going for a laptop without SDD, do I have to I avoid bringing it around when it's powered ON? and adding more cushion to the laptop when I carry it around?

Or is it just something I have over-worried since the designers have already taken all these common human behavior with a non-SSD laptop into consideration already?

Price and durability are my primary considerations. I am still hesitating.
I will definitely spend more for a SDD laptop if a laptop without SDD will fail and degrade upon my suggested habit above.

I will not spend more for a SDD laptop if and only if the performance is increased but not the durability. i.e. I don't mind how long it takes to read/write files and how long it takes to start up the windows.

Solution
If you drop a laptop while the hard drive is spinning the drive will get damaged.

There are premium laptops out there that have sensors that will kill power to the drive to help eliviate damage during a fall.
Now these laptops cost more then a normal laptop + ssd drive.

Best thing to do is get whatever laptop fits your needs, and swap the hdd to an ssd drive.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
buy a laptop with a HDD, set it up at least at a basic level
buy a large-enough SSD
clone the HDD to the SSD and swap them, then store the HDD as your "master" in case of emergency

i did that with my dell.

If you drop a laptop while the hard drive is spinning the drive will get damaged.

There are premium laptops out there that have sensors that will kill power to the drive to help eliviate damage during a fall.
Now these laptops cost more then a normal laptop + ssd drive.

Best thing to do is get whatever laptop fits your needs, and swap the hdd to an ssd drive.

Solution

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

excuse me what does it mean by 'swap the hdd to an ssd drive'' I don't understand.....

It means that you remove the hard drive and replace it with an SSD drive.

You can either do a full reinstall of all software onto the SSD drive, or (before removing hard drive) you can clone the hard drive onto the SSD drive before you swap them.

Now if you are not comfortable then this then just getting a laptop with an SSD drive in it already would likely cost the same or less then laptop + cost of ssd drive + cost of paying someone to install it.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Sorry , but I want to know - if I do really need a SSD laptop with better durability? I don't really care about 2 sec or 20 sec starting up the windows or reading/writing the files

I just worried about spinning HDD susceptible to damage on laptop since a laptop is often carried around and sometimes during operation. Somebody said a slight movement on HDD could ruin it also.

ffg7

Splendid
a customer trashed her laptop's hard drive when it was powered up by snagging the power cord with the vacuum cleaner to causing it to fall onto the floor. lost all her data as she did not have a backup of her data on another device.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Assume the laptop does not drop , Just bringing it around the house keeping it ON and NOT SLEEP, or sitting on the sofa having it rest on my legs instead of flattened surface, is it fine??

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
it's fine. keep a backup. or buy an SSD. they're really not that expensive, and it's relatively easy to clone it. but yeah, if you're not playing catch with it, a plain HDD will be just fine. after 5-10 years, it might start to wear, though.