Is it even possible to upgrade my old 13-inch 2009 Macbook?

Kypathos

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I know, it's oooold.

But I had a crazy thought while it was lagging (as it so faithfully does) on me - the possibility of an upgrade. On a side note (or however that saying's said), I'm not concerned about my warranty or anything, as I've had this Macbook for 3 years already, and it was given to me as compensation for a few negative experiences I had with a certain corporation.

If you have any suggestions, here's my specs.

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics

CPU: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hard Drive: 160 GB SATA Disk

RAM: 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

^Hope that helps^

Thanks!

Solution
Take the bottom off and take the fan out (it is very simple to remove, check Ifixit.com for directions) and clean it. It is very hard to get all the dust out without doing this as there is limited access to blow air through. Make sure the fan moves easily too, when you flick it, it should move effortlessly and kinda rebound a few times before coming to a stop. If it doesn't replace it.
The only other thing you can do to improve cooling is remove the logic board and take the heat sink off and redo the thermal paste.

You can do 8GB with that laptop. That along with the SSD will make it really fly. Even 4GB will make a difference, 2GB is just not enough. If money is a concern, get the SSD and (1) 4GB chip for now and then you can add...

Kypathos

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

So I wouldn't be able to upgrade the graphics or CPU? Or put a new cooler in? (I have overheating issues)

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
+1 to ssd and ram.
Most probably you will be able to run 4GB DDR2 (2x2GB)
Regarding the overheating issues, try to clean the heatsink and cooler with compressed air. Or perhaps you'll have to change the fan.
Graphics are not upgradeable and the CPU if it is soldered down it is also not upgradeable. But even it is socketed, the gains comparing with faster core2duo are not noticeable.

Regards

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Take the bottom off and take the fan out (it is very simple to remove, check Ifixit.com for directions) and clean it. It is very hard to get all the dust out without doing this as there is limited access to blow air through. Make sure the fan moves easily too, when you flick it, it should move effortlessly and kinda rebound a few times before coming to a stop. If it doesn't replace it.
The only other thing you can do to improve cooling is remove the logic board and take the heat sink off and redo the thermal paste.

You can do 8GB with that laptop. That along with the SSD will make it really fly. Even 4GB will make a difference, 2GB is just not enough. If money is a concern, get the SSD and (1) 4GB chip for now and then you can add another 4GB later.

Solution