Is it my imagination or reducing processor to 1% give a drastic battery life increase?

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I have an old laptop.

A Toshiba with b950 CPU, nice battery with 4400 mHa

Doing a test now and set maximum processor speed at 1%.

Suddenly battery life is great, but CPU runs at .80 ghz...but you know what? No big deal, I did some testing, and for example, Adobe Illustrator takes 10 seconds to open instead of 3 on full power....big deal!

I'm so happy with renewed battery life that I won't even bother buying a new laptop, it has an SSD and it's plenty fast.

I have a desktop with 16 gigs or RAM and i5-8400, I think I'll just keep using that and keeping old laptop.

Was thinking of selling desktop and getting a new laptop with i5-8250u....but I think I'll stick to new Dektip old laptop combo;)

Any body else see huge battery boost with reducing processor speed? Could I do this with an i7-7700HQ also? Get a powerful laptop and underclock then get very long battery time?

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

This is normal but why get a powerfull laptop then if you could just get an atom based solution that will perform the same and be a fraction of the cost of a 7700hq laptop.

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

What is atom based solution?

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Intels atom series (soon to be called pentium silver for some reason) are their lowest power chips running at a max of 5w. These will at stock speeds easily beat the b950 you have now since it's running at 800 mhz.

Do note that you are losing a huge amount of performance on that laptop with such a low clock and programs like illustrator will start to heavily slow down once something like a yt vid in the background is open or if you are working on a decently complex or large file.

Solution