Is it necessary to verify all backed up data after every incremental backup?

halfbeing

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
I use AOMEI to back up my computers. I normally do an incremental backup, which is usually very quick, but I also tick the box to verify the data afterwards because I would rather be safe than sorry, and that verification takes ages. It takes so long that it is a disincentive to doing regular backups. Do you think I am being wise to do the verification after every incremental backup, even though it takes a long time, or am I being over-cautious?

Solution
No harm in being over-cautious.

Continue doing the verifications but maybe change the backup time to the evening or night time hours when the required verification time does not matter so much.

If possible, shutdown other apps etc. that may be slowing the backup. Always try to have as little as possible running during back-ups anyway.

And make regular "data recovery" tests to ensure that the backups are indeed working and that the data is truly restorable.
No harm in being over-cautious.

Continue doing the verifications but maybe change the backup time to the evening or night time hours when the required verification time does not matter so much.

If possible, shutdown other apps etc. that may be slowing the backup. Always try to have as little as possible running during back-ups anyway.

And make regular "data recovery" tests to ensure that the backups are indeed working and that the data is truly restorable.

Solution

halfbeing

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Thanks for your answer.

I didn't realise until today, when the verification stalled after my backup due to a USB hiccup and I ended up rummaging through AOMEI Backupper's menus looking for a solution, that I can verify the image whenever I like—not just after running a backup—and that it's also possible to verify just the incremental image rather than the whole backed up image, which makes things a bit quicker. Am I safe to assume that if each incremental image passes verification individually, that the whole backup should be good?

When it comes to backups best not to leave anything to chance.

Even though it seems logical that if incremental images pass verification then the whole backup should be good.

Likely that the whole backup is and will be good. But not something to be assumed.

Remember Murphy's law.....

Expect that things will go wrong somewhere. That is why keeping multiple images is a good practice.