Is it possible to modify a LED TV to work as LFD ?

shashank_14

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I want to convert my 40'' LED TV to into a LFD ,what are the modifications needed to be done in order to achieve the similar functionality as a LFD?

Solution
Given the shrinking price of 40" TVs many companies use them instead of FLDs and just replace the set when it dies. If you don't need the features or extreme brighness it works fine.
I use two older TVs as a 24/7 window display and have not had to replace them often.
If you have to pump up the brightness they probably wouldn't last as long. I don't have mine jacked up. Get TVs with wide viewing angles. That makes the display easier to see off axis.

kanewolf

Judicious
If you mean "large format display" (LFD) then I don't think you can convert. LFD are designed for 24/7 usage so they have higher quality components. Components with wider temperature range, bigger heat sinks, etc. They have different types of inputs/outputs. They may have DVI out to allow daisy-chaining displays. They have ethernet ports, but that is for remote configuration and control, not built-in apps. It is a very different target market. The TV market is very price sensitive, and the LFD market is more features and ruggedness.

Given the shrinking price of 40" TVs many companies use them instead of FLDs and just replace the set when it dies. If you don't need the features or extreme brighness it works fine.
I use two older TVs as a 24/7 window display and have not had to replace them often.
If you have to pump up the brightness they probably wouldn't last as long. I don't have mine jacked up. Get TVs with wide viewing angles. That makes the display easier to see off axis.

Solution