Is it possible to run an HDMI cable over a distance of 30 feet?

True Colors

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hello. I am trying to help my friend with something.

He is trying to achieve an HDMI cable run of 30 feet.

At one end, he has a playstation with an HDMI output.

On the other end, he has a projector device with an HDMI input.

Previously, he purchased an HDMI cable which is 30 feet long, but it does not work. Either it flickers a lot, or it does not work at all.

He is open to different types of solutions. He has a lot of flexibility. He is in the construction business so it is very easy for him to try different things.

The budget for this is approximately $300. Obviously, it would be nice to find something a lot less than that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TC

sure. you can run up to 50ft on hdmi before you need an active booster for the signal.

he could even use a cheap grade hdmi cable like the monoprice hdmi 40ft for $35. or get something a bit nicer for a few bucks more. there is no need to spend $100+ on a cable in most cases as this is all markup and pure profit for name brands. the same as a $100 3ft monster cable isnt going to be noticibly different than a $12 budget brand of the same length but places try to get you to believe the hype.

cat5e cable can also be used for a hdmi signal if an adapter box is placed on either side. (google hdmi over cat5). this is convenient for houses prewired for cat5.

True Colors

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
It appears that under "normal" circumstances HDMI runs can go up to 25 feet. If you try to go above that, then you "may" encounter problems like my friend did.

He went ahead and purchased a monoprice redmere, which is specially designed for this sort of situation.

Thanks,

TC