Is it possible to upgrade my laptop graphics card?

Apr 14, 2018
I have a Lenovo Yoga-720, running Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050M and Intel core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz. It says I have 15.86 GB RAM, and 3840 x 2160, 60Hz.

I'm not sure exactly what or if any of this information is helpful to my question, but any follow up with information would be very helpful! I'm not very knowledgeable in building/upgrading laptops or computers, so, please, no hate haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No ,it's not possible to upgrade the GPU in your laptop. You could buy an external GPU, but it wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion; your GPU should be able to handle most games and editing. If you download GPU-Z, you can check the VRAM of your graphics card, it should either be 2GB or 4GB, i.e. 2048. That'll be in the memory size box. Both 2GB and 4GB are fine, but it'll be nice to know for the future which you have.

If you want more power, I would think about getting/building a desktop.

Best of luck.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
No the 1050m is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be removed. You might be able to do some external GPU as you have thuderbolt, however a dock and a GPU that can properly push 4k is not going to be cheap.

Eoghain

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
No ,it's not possible to upgrade the GPU in your laptop. You could buy an external GPU, but it wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion; your GPU should be able to handle most games and editing. If you download GPU-Z, you can check the VRAM of your graphics card, it should either be 2GB or 4GB, i.e. 2048. That'll be in the memory size box. Both 2GB and 4GB are fine, but it'll be nice to know for the future which you have.

If you want more power, I would think about getting/building a desktop.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution