Is it worth paying extra £100 for this Dell Inspiron New 15 7000 model?

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
One Dell Inspiron 15 7000 model is £749 and the other is £849. since im already paying £749, is the extra £100 worth it?

Thanks for letting me know i have update the link to image
link:
http://postimg.org/image/d1mwke3fv/

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
It is not showing the laptop comparison when I follow your link. It goes to the Dell Main UK page. Maybe you could copy the specs and then I can tell you what I think, Or you can give the exact model number for each laptop

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thanks for that, i have uploaded an image of the comparison, im gonna buy it now and cant decide of which one. cheers

utroz

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The cheaper model has a 1920x1080 (Full High Definition aka 1080p) screen while the more expensive one has 3840x2160 (Ultra High Definition aka 2160p). If you are going to want to do stuff at high resolution then the 100 pounds is worth it.. The UHD screen is also more future proof for watching 4K video, or for high resolution gaming. You can always set the UHD screen to a lower resolutions if you want but can not ever set the FHD screen any higher than 1080p.

The difference between those two laptops is the more expensive one is a 4k resolution touchscreen and it is glossy which means it easily reflects light. A 4k resolution screen means you need to rely on Windows scaling to scale up text and icons so they can be legible. There are programs that Windows will not scale up the icon sizes if they do not incorporate code which specifically allows Windows to scale up the icons. Old programs for example will have be programmed with those codes.

You will not be playing games at 4K resolution, the GTX 960m is simply too weak for that. You would need a laptop with GTX 980m SLI to get decent FPS at 4k resolution, though I am sure there will be games where the FPS will be less than 30.

The glossy screen means it is recommended you use it indoors. Using a laptop with a glossy screen outdoors on a sunny day can be very annoying.

You will also get lower battery life in the more expensive model because:

#1 - A 4k screen has many more pixels and each pixel draws power.
#2 - A touchscreen uses additional electronics which means it draws more power compared to a normal screen.

deiidarax

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
thanks guys, i dont really need a touch screen laptop, unless i could separate the display and keyboard(which in this laptop i dont think it could do that). Im not really a heavy gamer but i do watch videos and the expensive 4k will allow me to watch in higher video quality, so i will buy that instead, thanks for helping me decide guys cheers :)