Is it worth to buy the BB Z10 in 2014(August-September) ?

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
Well, i am a student.....i owned an andoid which unfortunately broke......in my area, presently we have great deals on the BB Z10......i know its already more than a year old, but i still want to buy.....would it last me more than 2 years? I really love its look ....
P.S. I wont be playing games, but would definitely love good music.....i would use it mainly for communicating with classmates and friends, nd store lots of word and pdf documents (school notes).....i dont give a damn about the OS's poor customizing capabilities....

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

What i meant to ask was would i be provided software support for more than 2 years on the device....its not abt just the physical condition of the phone....
nd wt do u mean by BB is dead?

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

I am aware of that....bt i am looking for a simple mobile that just works..... :)
fancy things wont allure me :)
nd here the discount on the Z10 is very appealing.....the best rebate.....it is available below half the original launch price

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

No didn't......i dont think i will get proper warranty with those :/

Brunostako

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
No, you won't.

But having a price 3 time less than a common brand and having the same or better hardware makes them a good investment, even for a short time. And the chinese brands aren't that bad, they actually build good phones. Many of the common brand are not less chinese than those i mentioned.

But that's just my opinion, those two i bought were pretty good and the old one is still working, i gave it to my brother.

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
A Z10 will be fine and is certainly a step up from the Moto G. It will get smoked by phones like the S5, G2, HTC One and the Nexus 5, but will run very well compared to the S4 and other flagship models that are a year or two old. It performs very well compared to my Gf's Nexus 4 and there is no doubt which of the two is the better device.

Blackberry's biggest problem has been app support, but with the ability to run Android .apk files now and the upcoming integration of the Amazon App store with this summer's software upgrade to v10.3, that's kind of a moot point.

BlackBerry is far from dead. They posted a profit in the 1st quarter. They are struggling in North America, but do very well in places like Indonesia, India and the Middle East. They're not going anywhere.

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

AS i told u already that i am not concerned with apps that much....i want good communication messaging apps and good office doc applications......moreovr my mom already possesses a moto g, so i dont want to buy again.....actually there is a discount of more than 50% so i am interested :)

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002

If that's the case, then you are crazy to pick a Moto G over the BB Z10

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

Just wanna know would that last 2+ years of usage.....

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
There's no reason it shouldn't, given proper care. The MotoG has some pretty good water resistance and the screen has Gorilla Glass, but otherwise the build quality of the Z10 is going to be better than the MotogG in general.

Specwise, the Dual-Core Krait is a little better than the Quad Core Cortex in the MotoG, but the Adreno 305 in the MotoG is better than the Z10. This will only really matter if your playing graphically demanding games on your phone. Otherwise, the Z10 has twice the RAM, a MicroSD slot, is LTE capable, has a microHDMI port, slightly better pixel density (although slightly smaller screen and better front and rear cameras. Finally, and probably most important if you want it to last 2 years, the Z10 has a removable battery. Batteries degrade over time and the life gets shorter and shorter. With the Z10, if your uptime is getting unacceptable, you pull the back off and put in a new battery. With the MotoG, it's not that easy.

Don't get me wrong, the MotoG is fine as mid level smartphone but it has overall lower specs and capability out of the gate. I have the Z10, we gave my Mother-In-Law a MotoG for Xmas and my Wife has a Nexus 4. Of these phones, there is no question which device is "nicer" and more future proof. The Blackberry 10 OS has a longer learning curve than Android and I think that can turn off a lot of people but once you spend a week or so with it, the advantages are great.

DriggyBoy

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014

Thanks a lot :)
Then i think i will probably go with the Z10......i know abt the moto G, since my mom uses it.....nd abt the gpu part, i am not a heavy gamer, neither do i get time to play games :/
If it does last that long as u said, i think thats my FINAL choice; considering the fact though that it is available in the market with a price-tag even less than the moto G :)