Is it worth upgrading old Samsung N150 netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello,

I have an old, but pretty good looking (not in performance perspective) Samsung NP-N150 netbook. I mean, it's a real pain to browse the internet on a so called "netbook". But whatever, it's specs are:

Intel Atom 1.66GHz CPU (1 core, Hyperthreaded)
1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
Hitachi 160GB HDD (5400RPM, I believe)
1024 x 600 screen resolution

I upgraded with laptop using free Win10 offer from Win7 starter. It is so slow, that I don't even have words to describe that. Even to open the file explorer it takes about 5 or more seconds every time. Not speaking about internet browsing experience.

My hobby is WEB development and I need XAMPP, Atom text editor, Chrome browser and MP3 player running at the same time to do my work or "hobby".

So, is it worth upgrading this netbook to 2GB RAM, an SSD drive, or both? Or I will just spend money for nothing when I can start saving up for a new laptop with a decent CPU and enough RAM. Could any of you give me some advice? I don't wanna spend about $100 on upgrade if the Atom CPU will bottleneck everything!

Kinda a long thread, but you don't have to read it all :)

Solution
on one hand SSD's really do speed a computer up but on the other that the CPU in that thing is an intel atom which is a really weak CPU so i doubt you will get that much performance improvement. you would be better off looking for a new laptop with an intel value CPU like a celeron or Pentium inside

captaincharisma

Distinguished
on one hand SSD's really do speed a computer up but on the other that the CPU in that thing is an intel atom which is a really weak CPU so i doubt you will get that much performance improvement. you would be better off looking for a new laptop with an intel value CPU like a celeron or Pentium inside

Solution

Gustas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Ok, so I upgraded the netbook to a used 2GB Samsung RAM module for $5 (Yeah, you read that right :)). I will not bother spending much money for SSD, cause all computer service assistants said that it is not worth it, but magically the 2GB of RAM really gave a good boost to Windows 10. And you always have 1GB free for some browser tabs and multitasking. I really didn't think that more RAM will give such a boost.

So, if anyone still have and use the old Samsung N150, I really advice you buying a 2GB used RAM module. I don't think it is worth spending $30 for a brand new module. But yeah, the boost is really noticeable :)

Reactions: johna509
Status
Not open for further replies.