Solved! Is my HDD dead?

NiKiSiT

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
I'm fairly new to the world of 'technology'. I have a laptop; Asus Notebook X200MA roughly over 3 years but after a few years the laptop died and wouldnt turn on.

More years past and I finally decided to fix it. The problem was my LED lights would show when plugged in but when pushing the power button it would make this weird wiring sound (almost like a fax machine) and stayed pitch black (plus the battery is completely fried). (And I did try the infamous 'different monitor' test and nothing happened)

After research I decided it was the motherboard that was broken, replaced it and it turned on working completely fine when plugged in. A week or two later its not turning on making absolutely no sound, I barely used it during that time.

The LED lights change when I press power on but it is completely silent, no flicker on the screen nothing. No booting up noise. Only the LED lights are responding. I feel pretty confident that it's not my motherboard.

So my question is, can a HDD cause your laptop to not turn on at all? Or is it a different problem?

NiKiSiT

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
I removed it but it still remains unresponsive whwn turned on. The only thing that responds are the LED lights when powered on, my fan isn't moving either. When I power it off the fan spins for a second then stops.