Is my phone actually beter than my PC?

niekdbgc

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
My Nexus 5 can run games at full 1080p where my PC with Intel HD graphics is far from being able to do that. They both have 2gb of ram but my PC is clocked at 2.66ghz and my phone at 2.26ghz. So is my phone better than my PC according to the fact that it runs any game flawlessly?

Solution
Running phone games at 1080p is entirely different than running PC games at 1080p. Phone games aren't even in the same realm of power required to run compared to PC games. Even integrated graphics like Intel HD are many times better.

You cannot compare the GHz of one CPU architecture to another. I assure you that even at the same frequency, the Intel processor is going to be 400% faster at least.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Running phone games at 1080p is entirely different than running PC games at 1080p. Phone games aren't even in the same realm of power required to run compared to PC games. Even integrated graphics like Intel HD are many times better.

You cannot compare the GHz of one CPU architecture to another. I assure you that even at the same frequency, the Intel processor is going to be 400% faster at least.

Solution

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
You wouldn't necessarily be comparing CPUs here, though that will be part of it. GPUs are what run most graphical games which I assume the OP is referring to. Plenty of 3D FPS and RPG available on ARM devices.

Yes, some smartphone GPUs are more powerful then older Intel HD graphics onboard a CPU. And some tablets have a lot more thermal headroom then smartphones and can be quite powerful. IE the Nvidia Tegra series chips. The Tegra 3 has 1/4 of a full Fermi desktop graphics card, and that is nothing to sneeze at. The Tegra K1 has a 1/4 of a Kepler GPU. The new X1 has half of a low end Maxwell GPU.

And the Adreno GPU series and others aren't far behind.

You would have to list the exact specifications of the computer in question to get a better answer.