Is softlay dot net Legit for downloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2018
Hi,

Anyone used softlay dot net to download legit windows ISOs?
I have legit keys but have never used this site before.

Microsoft don't publish old OS ISOs on their site any more.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Unfortunately, there is no legitimate site for downloading Windows ISO's older than Windows 7. Any site that does offer older ISOs is to be taken as a risk.

-Wolf sends
Mar 7, 2018
Hello Wolfshadow,

Thanks for the heads up. I'd still be interested to know if anyone rates this site.

I downloaded a 64 bit version of XP which I'd like to use for the larger address space (>3GB RAM and >2TB of HDD space). I know Microsoft offer time limited versions of Win7 \ 8.1 \ 10 for free and I'm using them but re-installing after the trial expiry gets old.

If anyone is interested in the free virtualbox (time limited) images that Microsoft provide they're here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

XP isn't offered though hence why I started searching outside of Microsoft.

Mar 7, 2018
Hello Alabalcho,

Suibscribing to MSDN (>500 USD per year) kinda defeates the point of using the free download site, and it doesn't answer my original question. Thanks for the reply anyway.

FYI VMWare and VirtualBox have not abandoned legacy operating systems. The 64 bit XP ISO I downloaded from softlay installed just fine on VB. For a bare tin installation then yes, support is hard to come by as a 64 bit XP OS requires 64 bit XP drivers, and most were written for 32 bit ... but the hardware emulators have no issue with this problem.

I connected to the root of the guest installation via C$ and ran a virus scan from the host. No threats were found. I was also prompted for a licence key.

All the best.

Your website is not "free", it has not been granted the right to host and distribute these ISOs. If you want "Free" OS, don't use DOS/95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10, use Linux, or RemixOS.

FYI, VMware/VirtualBox do not support XP, or DOS, or 10 - they "emulate" legacy processors, which happen to run these OSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.