Is the CPU in my laptop upgradable?

readysetmosh

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hey all, I was wondering if it would be possible for me to upgrade the CPU in my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 5755 that currently has an AMD A8 APU. Thanks in advance!

Solution

Looks like that laptop had the A8-7410 or the A10-8700P, so that A10 is really the only processor you can upgrade to. Now that said, unfortunately you can't just go down to microcenter and get that processor. In fact I searched and can't find one...

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Based on searching for the motherboard for this laptop it does have a removeable processor, so yes you can upgrade. However what you need to do is find what is the fastest processor Dell offered in that laptop, that likely will be the best you can get for it. In the case of the A8, depending what you have there may not be any better options.

readysetmosh

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Would i be able to purchase a processor with the same socket type and put that into my system? If so, what is the socket type?

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Looks like that laptop had the A8-7410 or the A10-8700P, so that A10 is really the only processor you can upgrade to. Now that said, unfortunately you can't just go down to microcenter and get that processor. In fact I searched and can't find one anywhere. Unfortunately short of buying a broken laptop with one you know that works, you're probably SOL. The sockets are different for Desktop and Laptop PC's, and they operate on different power requirements.

Solution

readysetmosh

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Alright, thanks a lot for your help! I appreciate it.