Is the MSI GE72 Good for School/Gaming?

RacerGT97

Commendable
Feb 14, 2016
I am looking into getting a GE72 Apache Pro for school. I prefer the bigger screen and I know the disadvantages that it has in terms of weight and portability. I have some questions for anyone who owns one and maybe also uses it for school:

1. Are the fans loud when doing light-medium tasks? I do a lot of programming and I could be doing some in the library and I do not want a laptop that is too loud. I would hope that on power saver they don't run too loud and I will be using Nvidia Optimus to use the integrated graphics.
2. How long does the battery last on average when not gaming (preferably on integrated graphics)?
3. Any bad experiences with your MSI laptop or MSI in general? I am in Canada.

Thanks for the help. I plan on buying a new laptop soon. The GE72 is about the same price as other laptops that have a 17" screen so why not get a laptop with more performance? Although I am thinking of saving my money and getting a 15" inch laptop and losing some of that screen real estate especially since lately I haven't had any time for games because I have been studying all day.

RacerGT97

Commendable
Feb 14, 2016

I have seen all of the reviews. There is a good deal on them. The 960m is $1350 and the 970m is $1550. I don't know if I want to spend $1550 plus tax on a laptop so I might opt for the 960m. I am looking at models with the Skylake 6700HQ and I wanted to see if anyone who actually used an MSI GE72 or even GE62 as their primary laptop had any advice for me.