Is The Nintendo 3DS Already Tanking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We're in a depression (the politics don't want to admit it), and the 3DS is just a gimmick - an expensive one. It doesn't surprise me that it's not selling well.

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
What does the depression have to do with this? Its not stopping people from buying millions of iphones and android devices left and right. Mobile phones will take over mobile gaming thats the reason why.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Well, we really just don't care anymore.

First of all, the 3DS (like the Wii before it) is priced 100 dollars too high. It should be (like the standard DS series before it) somewhere in the neighbourhood of 150 dollars. It does less than, say, an iPod Touch, so it should be priced accordingly- I don't care what the specs are since it's a Nintendo console and not something expected to be powerful.

Secondly, there are no games for it. The Top 10 games are about all there is for it, as well as the included AR cards (but that doesn't really count). Remember this strip? (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=301)
For a successful launch you need launch titles that aren't just re-hashes of 15-year-old games.

For example, if MegaMan Legends 3 was a launch title, or, say, a Mario-type (Kart, New SMB-type) game, it would sell more copies (combined with a lower asking price) right off the bat. As I recall Metroid Prime: Hunters came out

Thirdly, the market is saturated with DS's. The hardware is everywhere- it sold around 150 million units which is right behind the PS2. So nobody really needs to upgrade right now since THERE ARE NO GOOD GAMES for it.

So I'm really not surprised.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Its poor marketing and the popularity of the full-body media-rich touchscreen phone. Whether it be an andriod or an IOS phone, these phones are getting closer and closer to offering the quality mobile gaming experience that the likes of Nintendo are accustomed to supplying. If Nintendo doesn't let people know that the content on their device is the major differentiator, then they'll surely be heading for a failed product.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
i was able to check one out, the 3D isn't really that impressive. I think the biggest loss is the form factor, everyone's use to seeing a DS, it hasn't changed much, so there's no wow factor.

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I'm going to say right off the bat that I think dedicated handheld gaming became obsolete within the past few years, with the success of the iPhone and Android. Why buy a device for $200-$300 that only plays games, and browses the internet via only Wi-Fi, when you can go out and buy a 3-year contract at $35/month, and get a phone that can do just as much, and a hell of a lot more for under $100?

Also: The quality of mobile-based games is always sub-par, and will always be sub-par to anything else, which is why gaming on a smartphone is popular. Why buy a handheld console for $250 and pay $50+ per game, when you have that $200 iPod, or sub $100 phone, and you can get games similar, if not identical or better for anywhere between $.99 and $10?

Personally, I don't see a justifiable reason for a dedicated handheld gaming market to exist, especially with the tech of today. If a company like Nintendo wanted to survive in the mobile market, they would try something like what Sony did, and partner with a mobile phone company (lets say Motorola) and develop a Nintendo-branded phone, with a Nintendo Market, where you can buy all sorts of Nintendo's games?

Thats just my $.02

G

I can't say that I'm surprised. I tried out a friend's 3DS a few weeks ago. The effect was really cool so long as you didn't move your head or the device a single millimetre. If you did, the 3D effect suddenly turned into the cross-eyed effect and you couldn't see a damn thing. Also, the battery life plummeted when the 3D effect was turned on. So it's a hand-held portable gaming device with motion control which only works so long as you stay at home, sit at a desk and don't move. WTF?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Well, we really just don't care anymore.First of all, the 3DS (like the Wii before it) is priced 100 dollars too high. It should be (like the standard DS series before it) somewhere in the neighbourhood of 150 dollars..[/citation]

The DS didn't come out at 150 dollars you know.

I don't really see the point that's trying to be made Kevin. A bunch of shovelware got cancelled, best news I've ever heard. Most of it was written in Kotaku's article to be other factors like the changes over at Hudson anyway.

There's no doubt that the 3DS isn't doing great, it doesn't have any great games for it yet other than a rehash of an old game. If you look at it as just another entry in the DS lineup, they're still doing quite well, with DS, DSi, and DSXL filling in the gaps for gamers who don't care about the 3D or can't afford as much. They really do need some A-list titles out though if they want this to really take off. Nintendo sure can't get a launch right anymore.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
People nowadays are satisfied with 0.99 games from the app stores.

Sad reality for Nintendo and Sony is that they have a VERY hard game ahead against the Apple and Android App Stores. Kids are not driving the market like they used to now, parents don't see the added value of a "fixed" and expensive "gaming platform" when they can get something that can do more than just "play games" (tablets, yes, tablets). Add that to the fact that kids actually "don't know what they want", so give them angry birds and they'll play it for hours if there are enough levels.

So, I agree with the 0.99 vs "old school console model" war. Nintendo better move fast, or they'll die a horrible death. And so will the next gen consoles... When devs realize PC is still around and Steam is the battle horse to look up to.

Cheers!

sp00

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
The Handhand war is over. The App store and Android market is by far much more popular. When the iphone or the android become even more powerful, the console war will be over. I can total see using wireless technology to feed our .99 cent game to the TV screen using an Apple TV or Google TV device.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Drop it 100 bucks. I want to buy it but not for that price. Yeah they may lose money in the beginning but the quanity of sales would rapidly increase.

solidba

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]I'm going to say right off the bat that I think dedicated handheld gaming became obsolete within the past few years, with the success of the iPhone and Android ... develop a Nintendo-branded phone, with a Nintendo Market, where you can buy all sorts of Nintendo's games? Thats just my $.02[/citation]

I totally agree with you. I was raised on Nintendo so I have a bit of a soft spot for them in my heart, so it hurts to admit that their resistance to new consumer trends will eventually sink them. They've always been good at innovating with new technologies, but they're horribly slow at adapting to how people actually interact with their technology on a day to day basis. Like you said, the stand-alone handheld gaming industry is obsolete, and Nintendo is just standing there with a stunned look on its face watching its biggest cash cow disappear into the quicksand.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I played with a 3ds for about 30 minutes while my family / kids shopped as I was checking it out. Initially I thought it was really cool, but in that 30 minutes I developed one heck of a headache! After that, I decided not to buy a pair for my kids.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
i think ive only bought 5 nintendo games in just over a decade

there is just nothing that interests me (and 4 of them were pokemon games)

the other was harvest moon

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]Well, we really just don't care anymore.First of all, the 3DS (like the Wii before it) is priced 100 dollars too high. It should be (like the standard DS series before it) somewhere in the neighbourhood of 150 dollars. It does less than, say, an iPod Touch, so it should be priced accordingly- I don't care what the specs are since it's a Nintendo console and not something expected to be powerful.Secondly, there are no games for it. The Top 10 games are about all there is for it, as well as the included AR cards (but that doesn't really count). Remember this strip? (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=301)For a successful launch you need launch titles that aren't just re-hashes of 15-year-old games.For example, if MegaMan Legends 3 was a launch title, or, say, a Mario-type (Kart, New SMB-type) game, it would sell more copies (combined with a lower asking price) right off the bat. As I recall Metroid Prime: Hunters came out Thirdly, the market is saturated with DS's. The hardware is everywhere- it sold around 150 million units which is right behind the PS2. So nobody really needs to upgrade right now since THERE ARE NO GOOD GAMES for it.So I'm really not surprised.[/citation]

price, i dont think is too high, ill buy it when 5 games i want come out.
but no games, thats the reason is sales are slow. it has 2 games worth buying out. street fighter, if you dont have the console or pc version, and zelda which is STILL a damn good game.

[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]I'm going to say right off the bat that I think dedicated handheld gaming became obsolete within the past few years, with the success of the iPhone and Android. Why buy a device for $200-$300 that only plays games, and browses the internet via only Wi-Fi, when you can go out and buy a 3-year contract at $35/month, and get a phone that can do just as much, and a hell of a lot more for under $100?Also: The quality of mobile-based games is always sub-par, and will always be sub-par to anything else, which is why gaming on a smartphone is popular. Why buy a handheld console for $250 and pay $50+ per game, when you have that $200 iPod, or sub $100 phone, and you can get games similar, if not identical or better for anywhere between $.99 and $10?Personally, I don't see a justifiable reason for a dedicated handheld gaming market to exist, especially with the tech of today. If a company like Nintendo wanted to survive in the mobile market, they would try something like what Sony did, and partner with a mobile phone company (lets say Motorola) and develop a Nintendo-branded phone, with a Nintendo Market, where you can buy all sorts of Nintendo's games?Thats just my $.02[/citation]

because its not 35$ a month, the phone costs 6-800 without contract, and the games for it largely suck.

but i personally see the idea of a smart phone as retarded, i also hate phones in general, because i have email, and would rather get info that way, than a conversation that will never end.

saying mobile gaming is sub par... and always has been? you ever play the gameboy? the gameboy advance? or any number of good ds games? lets say dragon quest 9 as an example, or lets also say a puzzle game, or a tetris like game, those are GREAT games, that lend themselves better to a mobile gaming experience. 99% of iphone games are shovel ware crap, that is a fact, but a far lesser amount are ds games, and even the shovel ware on the ds is a higher quality than the iphone.

and i believe dedicated gaming hand helds are necessary. they force people to expect good games, and force developers to make better games. if you get an ipod touch, are you expecting the games to be great, or are you expecting games, along with Internet and mp3 player?

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
6 months or so ago I got an android phone and started playing games on it, it was ok for a while, but the newness quickly wore off, recently a friend of mine gave me his old PSP-3000 and let me borrow a number of his games and I have to say I haven't really touched my phone games since, honestly thinking of wiping them off the phone just to free up space, the quality difference in games just can't be compared. This is honestly why I'm hoping the PS Vita does good, I really have no idea with the current market being what it is will bring for the Vita, but it would be nice to see something good come of it.

As for the 3DS, I wasn't expecting much to begin with really...

Status
Not open for further replies.