Is there a way to make Google photos my only gallery?

Feb 19, 2018
Is there anyway to setup Google photos as the only gallery on my Oreo based phone? It seems silly to have the default gallery and Google photos simply as a backup. To save room in my phone i need to go in and manually delete all the photos from my gallery that have already synced to Google photos.

Solution
You can try uninstalling or if it won't allow that disabling the other gallery. However, the photos aren't stored in that gallery. That is just an app for viewing them. They are stored on the phone.

When you sync the phone to your google account, it doesn't mean it removes them off the phone. It just makes copies of them to the account. Now if you are choosing to delete them from the phone after the copies are made (or they are uploaded) that is different. It may well be that the images are not still in the gallery but it is holding residual info. If that is the case, restarting the phone (turning it off and back on) should clear that up.
You can try uninstalling or if it won't allow that disabling the other gallery. However, the photos aren't stored in that gallery. That is just an app for viewing them. They are stored on the phone.

When you sync the phone to your google account, it doesn't mean it removes them off the phone. It just makes copies of them to the account. Now if you are choosing to delete them from the phone after the copies are made (or they are uploaded) that is different. It may well be that the images are not still in the gallery but it is holding residual info. If that is the case, restarting the phone (turning it off and back on) should clear that up.

Solution
Feb 19, 2018

Thank you that worked! I just disabled the stock gallery app and Google photos took over the duties automatically!