Is there USB AUX?

linex12

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there is such thing as USB AUX adapter? I imagine it as an ordinary USB flash drive but it has an AUX IN port at the end. And when you plug in your USB AUX drive in an audio system and connect your phone, for example, through the aux in port you can listen to the music you played on your phone. I know it seems as a stupid question and I don't know if this is possible, actually, but I was wondering about it. I googled it but there wasn't satisfying results. Maybe I don't use the right keywords or there really isn't such thing. I don't know. It could be really useful for people who have usb port on their audio systems but don't have an AUX IN port.

Solution
that is what i said, line in on the soundcard of the pc, the pink one, if your sound card has that, connect it by using the cable mentioned to the phone, in the headphone jack, i have done it lots of times

the adapters i mentioned are there if you don't have a aux in in your pc, perhaps a laptop

after that you need to set the soundcard to output what comes via line in, sometimes it understands it is a microphone and won't let you hear from it but once you set it to go to speakers it should work

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
no, but you can buy this

https://www.amazon.com/Virtual-Channel-External-Adapter-AFUNTA/dp/B01LH1NQ9W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483136767&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+sound+card

one side goes in your headphone jack on the smartphone, the other goes in mic connector or line in on your pc, the pink one

the problem with mic is that usually is mono and music from the smartphone is stereo

if your pc doesn't have a line in or mic in, then you need a usb sound card

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483136527&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sound+card

the pink one is where you connect the cable mentioned, but is aother soundcard, it is a bit annoying to set up a system with two sound cards, the one that comes integrated and this one just for that

linex12

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014
Thank you for the quick response but I think this is just the opposite of what I wanted. My idea was to input sound to the audio system, not to output sound from it. But thank you anyway! :)

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
that is what i said, line in on the soundcard of the pc, the pink one, if your sound card has that, connect it by using the cable mentioned to the phone, in the headphone jack, i have done it lots of times

the adapters i mentioned are there if you don't have a aux in in your pc, perhaps a laptop

after that you need to set the soundcard to output what comes via line in, sometimes it understands it is a microphone and won't let you hear from it but once you set it to go to speakers it should work

Solution

linex12

Estimable
Dec 8, 2014

Oh, yeah I see. Maybe I didn't understand you the first time. Thank you so much!

I think I got what OP is after: There are boom boxes having USB input (to plug an USB flash drive with MP3s) but not plain old AUX IN (3.5mm or white/red RCA). The OP wants **somehow** to convert analogue audio output (eg from phone' heafphoes socket) back into USB so that it can be played thru the boom box.

Not going to happen. Your boom box expects to find a disk drive on that USB input, not an audio card. It would be much easier to actually hack that boom box to provide AUX IN than to rewrite the firmware inside it.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
if the boombox doesn't have a line in, no, only can be done via bluetooth

perhaps if the boombox can read the files from the device and thedevice can work as a usb mass storage device or the boombox can use a mtp device, haven't seen one like that yet

i used to connect my old sony walkman to the line in of my pc, to hear radio stations and recor radio shows, it is the same with