Is this a good laptop?

Aidan P

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I know enough about computers etc, however as I am still fairly young I have only ever had one good computer in my life, the one I'm currently using. In the world of rich PC gamers, my PC is nothing however it does have an i7, 16GB of RAM and a 2TB WD HDD.

I'm looking for a laptop now primarily for school work and also perhaps light usage (Spotify, web browsing and maybe some Photoshop etc) at home when I don't want to sit at my PC. Anyway, as my PC is pretty high spec in comparison to this laptop I'm considering purchasing, I am not sure what to expect. Is an i3 going to last long and is it decent enough? The RAM is only 4GB however it says it can be upgraded to a maximum of 16GB, which I think is a great option to have should I choose to.

TL: DR What is you opinion on this laptop (considering value for money primarily)?

P.S. £300 is around $460 USD.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-305-15-6-laptop-blue-10133113-pdt.html

Aidan P

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Thanks for the links, that first one most definitely seems way too good to be true but I'll definitely look in to it.

Aidan P

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Okay, I didn't think Photoshop would be great on it but if I did use it I would only be using it lightly if at all. What do you mean by the multitasking wouldn't be good? What do you think it could and couldn't cope with?

Thanks

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Doing multiple tasks such as installing a program, running a game, and rendering a video all at the same time is what he means as "multitasking". Photoshop would be OK on the laptop with light use; I know HORRIBLE school computers that have ran Photoshop for light use just fine!

It should be able to handle 2 programs as long as it is lightweight. For example you could have a few tabs open in a browser and listen to music. It will not on the other hand be able to render an video and have a browser open.

Aidan P

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Okay, that's perfectly fine for what I intend to use it for, thank you.

Aidan P

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Okay thank you.