Is this CPU Temperature ok?

Lothawyr

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
I was monitoring temperature during a 3dmark11 basic test.

Is this a good result or do I need to clean up and reapply thermal paste?

Please check RealTemp screenshot here: http://prnt.sc/ch26kw and look at max values which were recorded during the test.

CPU-Z info: http://prnt.sc/ch28py

GPU temperature never went above 85°C (NVIDIA GTX 780M) during 3dmark11 basic test.

Solution

Eventually, something similar to that could happen, no saying for sure though. You may have got a really good chip and have won the silicon lottery, or you could slowly be wearing it down, who knows?

As long as it doesn't stay at that temperature for hours on hours, day by day, then you should be fine for quite a while.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Both temperatures are fine, so don't worry. The GPU temperature is getting a bit close, to what I would call the extreme limit, but I'm guessing you have a laptop/notebook, so that is understandable.

But any higher than 90, then I would start working something out to lower the temperature, as I call 90 the extreme limit, and pushing it a bit too much.

I tend to stay under 70c, but 80 at a maximum.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Again, really pushing the borders, but it should still be fine. At that temperature for a while, it could potentially be damaging to your CPU, but I guess its expected for a notebook, which has limited space/cooling capacity. Have you tried getting one of them little stands with fans installed to assist cooling? That should lower it dramatically.

loki1944

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Laptop CPUs can be expected to run quite hot; mine routinely have run high 80s during gaming. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it was a desktop CPU that would be different. I've had laptop CPUs that run in the 80s C for years with no problems.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

That would probably be pushing it, and maybe some really inefficient cooling? What is the temperature like while you're gaming? Is it similar.

When I stress my laptop out, which has similar specs, but no GPU, the CPU runs at around 60-70c.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Eventually, something similar to that could happen, no saying for sure though. You may have got a really good chip and have won the silicon lottery, or you could slowly be wearing it down, who knows?

As long as it doesn't stay at that temperature for hours on hours, day by day, then you should be fine for quite a while.

Solution

loki1944

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Obviously with no GPU temps will be lower overall. 80s C is fine for a laptop CPU while gaming/benchmarking. Got a 4810MQ with a GTX 880M that has been in action for over 2.5 years; 80s C the entire time when gaming/bench-marking/stress testing; no issues whatsoever.