Is this gaming laptop worth 950$

dethklic

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
ok ive been looking everywhere for a gaming laptop under 1 grand that was customizable and so far i think a great one is from cyberpowerpc and i get some free stuff. these are the specs

Product Name: Xplorer X6-9120 Gaming Notebook

Notebook: A15FD Gaming Notebook 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 Display w/ Built-in 1.3MP Webcam, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
Notebook Color: Xplorer X6 Gaming Notebook Cover
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Mobile Processor 2.30 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.30 GHz
Motherboard: Intel HM70 Chipset Mainboard
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GT 640M 2GB PCIe Video
Hard Drive: 240 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write [+38] (Single Drive)
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-353-DVDRW)
Sound: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound
Freebies: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro External Sound Card w/ THX TruStudio & EAX 5.0 [+0]
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: Killer Wireless-N 1202 802.11 a/b/g/n Half Size Adapter [+39]
WiDi Router: None
LCD Monitor: None
Speakers: Built-in Stereo Speakers System
Network: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+6]
Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+5]
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: Built-In 3in1 Media Reader
Battery: 6-cells Li-Ion Battery Pack 4800mAh
Carrying Bag: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 15.6 Inch Notebook
AC Adapter: Universal AC-DC Adapter
Car Adapter: None
Video Camera: Built-in 1.3 Mega Pixel Webcam
Headset: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset [+0]
HDMI Output Port: Built-in HDMI Port
Cable: None
Power Protection: None
USB Port: Built-in 2x USB2.0 Ports + 2x USB3.0 Ports
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
Office Suite: None
Games: None
Service: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Additional Warranty: None
Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

i have a few questions regarding this, first question, for around the same price can i get a better vid card, same processor , and maybe a similar ssd?

second question, why is this hard drive being sold for an additional 38$! is there something wrong with it? a intel thats half this ones capacity is going for around 200$ from this site i think.

3rd question, if it says premium 3d surround sound does that mean the speakers on the laptop are really good?

fourth question, is the Killer Wireless-N 1202 802.11 a/b/g/n Half Size Adapter worth the 39$? id like to connect to hotspots from farther than normal if possible and having a slightly better fps would be good too. what do they mean by halfsize adapter? is it going to be weaker than one of the other ones i can upgrade to

The main thing that is making me choose this laptop is the free stuff and cheap stuff they give with it like: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Go, AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard [+6], AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge [+5], Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 15.6 Inch Notebook, Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset [+0]

those would likely add up to around 100$ if bought separately or similar items were bought.

should i ignore this laptop and if so can someone point me in the direction of a better one?

any help is appreciated

Pyree

Distinguished
1. yes, yes, no (but you can easily change storage device, but graphics card is impossible to change for the laptop you choose.)

2. Because OCZ ssd are cheaper. Also this is Agility 3, they are trying to sell it all since Agility 4.

3. No, laptop stereo speaker with sub on gaming laptop can be good (I am not even sure whether there is a sub on that laptop), but no where as good as real 5.1 or 7.1 surround from respectable speaker maker.

4. FPS will not be different. I am not sure about ping thou. I use LAN if wifi is really bad. Not sure if a killer wifi card will make too much difference. I generally don't recommend them because that money can be put to better use. Half size just means the dimension of the card is of the half size specification.

5. Seriously, the addon stuff you can get later. You should focus on the real performance part like the CPU and especially the GPU.

Lenovo Y580 is probably going to be the laptop for your budget.

dethklic

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
thanks for alll the help, ill be back in about 6 hours to research and pick one of those laptops that have been suggested, but for now im off to get my license. wish me luck(the test will be easy but i have fines to pay first and ornery parents)

RustyFerretStudios

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have been researching gaming laptops under 1 grand for about two months, and I got to say the Cyber Power PC Xplorer X6-9120 is definitely the best one I found for the money. If you are looking for a less expensive gamming laptop I would recomend the Toshiba Satellite S850-BT2G22 Laptop which costs between $800-$900 depending how you would configure it.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000037628

Or if you're looking for a laptop under 1 grand with a slightly better video card go with the FORCE QAL15-HD / Compal QAL15 from Xotic PC for $850 +

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-qal15hd-compal-qal15-p-4808.html?wconfigure=yes

Personally I'm going with the Xplorer X6-9120. I hope I helped.