Is this laptop any good for gaming?

Scarffyyy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
Hello,
I know this question is asked a lot but I couldn't find anything with the same spec as this one. So I apologize for a asking a very similar question to everyone else.
Right now to the question. I want to get into PC gaming but with my currant setup there is no way I could fit a desktop PC into my bedroom so for the time being that is out the question. So I have started looking at gaming laptops and I have seen this one for £530. The specs are as follows;

MPN- G73JH-TZ172V
Brand- Asus
Range- ROG
Model- G73JH
Processor- Intel Core i7 1st Gen. i7-720QM 1.6GHz (Turbos to 2.8Ghz)
Screen- 17.3" 1920x1080 Non-touch
Operating System- Windows 7
Graphics Card- Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1Gb
Hard Drive- 500Gb SATA Hard disk drive inc 8Gb SSD Cache
Optical drive- Blu-Ray
Memory- 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ram installed
Keyboard / Colour- US International keyboard /Black
Battery- 5200 mAh battery
Audio & speakers- Stereo sound and speakers
Wireless - 3/4G- N WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0, WWAN:No
Smartcard/Fingerprint reader SC: No, FP: No
Webcam- Webcam
Ports- USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, Firewire, Card reader.

I know that the parts are mostly outdated but I'm not going to be trying to play every game on ultra, I just want something to start me off in the world of PC gaming.
So if you could give me any feedback on this laptop or any other suggestions around that price it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Too much money for that particular laptop (just my opinion). I sold what would be the replacement for that laptop except 2 generations newer (G75) for about that much over a year ago. But that was in the U.S. Maybe used laptops fetch higher prices where you are.

Scarffyyy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

All sorts of games really. I'm not expecting it to run everything but just something that will play the majority of games until I have the space for a desktop PC.

Scarffyyy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

Yeah, from what I have seen this laptop is a bargain at that price. A quick search of the G75 and they seem to go for nearly double the price of the G73.

In that case, I'd grab it. It's a really good machine.

Scarffyyy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

Sorry I keep asking questions but I'm new to all this. I've just seen this laptop which is slightly cheaper but I'm not sure if its better or worse. It has;

17" Full HD 1080p Screen
Nvidia GTX675MX 4GB Vram
I7 3630QM (2.4Ghz)
16GB Ram
1TB SSHD (Hybrid SSD Drive) with spare bay for additional drive if required.
Blu-ray Drive
Intel AC 7260 Wireless Network card - Supports Dual Band 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n.

I did google it and I think its better? but I'm not sure.
Sorry and thanks once again.

Scarffyyy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
Unfortunately the second laptop sold before I could get to it, so I'll just keep my eye open for something similar but thank you very much for your help and answers.

Vigilante96

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016
For about 2 years I've had an HP Envy 15.6" notebook with an i7 processor and a Nvidia GTX 740M graphics card and it runs a majority of my games like Subnautica, Cities: Skylines, Dying Light, etc. quite smoothly. However, I've done some searching and the exact variant doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere, although I did find a 17" version on amazon.com for USD$950 (~£640). Heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-17t-i7-4700MQ/dp/B00OP8MXGC