Is This Laptop my Best Choice for the Money?

jonnyappleseedc

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I am currently looking for a laptop to buy before college. I am graduating high school and need a new laptop, since mine is about 5 years old. I am going to be an information systems major so I assume I will be using the computer quite often. I do have a desktop I plan on bringing which I play most of my graphic intense games on/video editing.
This is the laptop I found: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232376&leaderboard=1
I am looking for a laptop that I can do most of my school work on, such as programming and similar information systems major work. I also would like to be able to game on it, although just for moderate games, nothing too graphics-intensive. My price range is from about $600-$800, I do not plan to go over this and Macbooks are not an option.

Solution
It should be fine for your needs. The biggest complaint I have read about that laptop is the screen which has does not have good viewing angles. Upgrading the hard drive is doable, but not easy and removing the underside panel voids the warranty.

The GeForce 940m is more or less similar to the Geforce 840m with slightly higher clock speeds. It is a decent mainstream graphics chip that should allow you to play many depending games at 1366x768 resolution with medium settings.
It should be fine for your needs. The biggest complaint I have read about that laptop is the screen which has does not have good viewing angles. Upgrading the hard drive is doable, but not easy and removing the underside panel voids the warranty.

The GeForce 940m is more or less similar to the Geforce 840m with slightly higher clock speeds. It is a decent mainstream graphics chip that should allow you to play many depending games at 1366x768 resolution with medium settings.

Solution
The laptop is ok and should last as long as you are not making very complex programs. The gpu is good and should be able to play the games that you want. But I would look for a laptop that has an i5 m cpu rather than a u cpu if the programs start to get complex as the u cpus are not that good at compiling programs. i7 are great if you need a lot of cpu power but this may not be needed.