Is this MSI GT-70 a bargain at $1120 ??

Dan860

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi..

I have found this MSI GT-70 in almost new condition (used only 15 days by first owner & still under original warranty) for about US$ 1120

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-0ND-492US-9S7-17212-492-17-3-Inch/dp/B009H8RI38/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453700993&sr=1-2

The only problem is that as far as i have researched , it was released in July 2012. But the processor is almost as powerful as the 4750 and the graphics card flat out beats the ones in any new laptop in this price range.

For someone looking for a gaming laptop around $1000, this seems like a good deal. But i want to ask if there will be any drawbacks to the old model. should i buy it?

thanks in advance for your help..

Solution
You can always contact MSI and check with them about the warranty. Even though the system is a bit slower, I would go with a new one with a 960m video card, if the thing is out of warranty.

Gaming systems would have a higher failure rate due to the faster parts and thus more heat causing parts to fail, even if the laptop is a good one.

Or try to get a lower price for the laptop. For myself, if it was about 800 I would be tempted to get it over a new one that is slower or same speed new at almost double the price. Just make sure you test it fully with a few benchmarks.

Dan860

Estimable
Jan 9, 2016

First of all, thanks for taking the time to help me out..

Unfortunately, I live in the middle east ( something i should have mentioned earlier) and shipping costs from most suppliers outweighs any offers or discounts available.

locally, Laptops with 960m are available in $1200 range, laptop with 970m in $1650 range. So you can see why i am inclined to buy one with 680m for $1100.

I cannot find any laptop with even 960m for less than $1050. So you see why getting a 680m for this price seems like a bargain.

I also read in the forums that MSI warranty is from manufacture date rather than selling date. And i am guessing they only produce these models for one and a half year or so. This means that its manufacture date cannot be after around December 2013. This would mean despite what the seller claims, it is out of warranty and i will not buy a second hand laptop without any warranty.

How was this particular laptop left unsold in some shops store till now is also a puzzle. The original owner claims he bought it brand new (sealed & boxed ) just 15 days ago and has the receipt to prove it.

You can always contact MSI and check with them about the warranty. Even though the system is a bit slower, I would go with a new one with a 960m video card, if the thing is out of warranty.

Gaming systems would have a higher failure rate due to the faster parts and thus more heat causing parts to fail, even if the laptop is a good one.

Or try to get a lower price for the laptop. For myself, if it was about 800 I would be tempted to get it over a new one that is slower or same speed new at almost double the price. Just make sure you test it fully with a few benchmarks.

Solution