Is this normal for a laptop battery?

Maikkyboy

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
I bought a HP Refurb and I'm trying to see if this is normal or not, I've owned it for like a month, used it like 5 - 8 times and charged it from 20 - 30% to full like 5 times.

I can't tell if this is normal or fast degradation for the max capacity of the laptop, it's a Envy 13 with 8550u and mx150 if that has any context

9LGfXpL.png

Solution
4 - 6 Hours on a full charge when gaming is pretty excellent. Even if the laptop is not running, the battery will lose stored charge over time. So if you're charging it full then waiting 3 or 4 days before use, you can expect to lose quite a bit of the charge.

Sounds like your laptop is preforming at it's standards. A solution potentially could be just ordering a second battery and cycling between using the 2 of them. That would only work if you have an external battery though, I know my laptop for example, has an internal battery and while it is possible to get a second battery, It's extremely difficult to dismantle the laptop to install a new battery so this isn't something I could do.

Kashimi

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
When you charge the battery to 100% how long do you use it before it needs to be charged again?

When you let the laptop charge full, how many days until you use it again and what is the battery % at?

Maikkyboy

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015

I can't give you a hard answer on that just anecdotal but I can do (I think) between 4 - 6 hours on a full charge before it gets to sub 10% depending on what I do.

Well about 2 weeks ago I would use it every three or four days after a full charge.

Kashimi

Estimable
Apr 14, 2015
4 - 6 Hours on a full charge when gaming is pretty excellent. Even if the laptop is not running, the battery will lose stored charge over time. So if you're charging it full then waiting 3 or 4 days before use, you can expect to lose quite a bit of the charge.

Sounds like your laptop is preforming at it's standards. A solution potentially could be just ordering a second battery and cycling between using the 2 of them. That would only work if you have an external battery though, I know my laptop for example, has an internal battery and while it is possible to get a second battery, It's extremely difficult to dismantle the laptop to install a new battery so this isn't something I could do.

Solution