Is this still decent?

TheHazza

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
A friend of mine has a Dell Precision m6500 laptop and is wondering how well it should be performing. After looking around online I've found reviews from 5 years ago making me think that it may not be particularly good anymore.

She doesn't play very demanding games, mainly stuff like League of Legends, Skyrim (Barely modded) and Minecraft and does admittedly have a lot of stuff on there slowing it down, including but not limited to adware. She is thinking of installing a new OS and seeing how that cleans it up and if she can get back to it being as fast as it used to be but I am wondering if it would be worth spending around 100AUD for a new OS when she may need a new laptop anyway.

Specs are
Core i7-q840 @ 1.87GHz
8GB 1333DDR3 RAM
No dedicated graphics
1900*1200 17.1" display

Edit: Also, if we do decide to install a new OS how can we wipe EVERYTHING from both the hard drive her current OS is on and her second hard drive. We are unable to access the Dell Backup and Recovery thing meaning we cannot reset to factory settings hence our wish to install an entirely new OS but we dont know if this will wipe BOTH drives.

General inquiry about how that should be performing from a new OS install and if it is time for her to get a new laptop.

Solution

TheHazza

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

If I do wipe it by installing a new OS how do I make it wipe both Hard Drives rather than just the one it is installed on?

Why would you want to wipe the second HDD? The drive containing the OS is the only one that needs to be formatted.

If you still wish to wipe the second drive after the OS reinstall on the first drive, click start, then my computer/this pc, then right click the second drive, and choose "format".

TheHazza

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

So if there is stuff on the laptop that is slowing it down will wiping just the drive containing the OS fix everything or is it still necessary to wipe the second hard drive in order to remove anything slowing down the laptop?

If the second drive has just been used as a storage drive (videos/music/photos), it should be fine, unless it contains any viruses.

TheHazza

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

It may contain adware which we really want removed so how do we wipe the second drive as well?

I already explained that. But do it BEFORE you wipe and reinstall the OS on the first drive, if you are worried about possible adware. Sorry I missed the part about adware earlier. It's been a very long day. :D

Solution