Is TurboYourPC Scamware?

ccoo84

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hi I usually never download or buy programs that say they can clean your computer or guarantees to make it faster, I was just curious about this one called Turbo Your Pc. it says it can get rid of unnecessary files. What do people think?

Solution
I don't buy into those. I used to work at OfficeMax some time ago, and if you had an issue with your computer, we would hook it up and run our own software that's similar. It would tell you if there was a virus detected, or if there were files that could be deleted etc. Honestly, the whole thing was a crock, and still is. Most of the time when it says there are files to delete, it's talking about temp files, or files sitting in your download folder. Even your recycle bin, if it has stuff in it, will trigger the unnecessary files. If you take it in to them, or BestBuy, I can almost guarantee that it will say you need to do/remove something!

If you're worried about bloat from having surfed and downloaded too many things, I would instead...

Reaper_7799

Estimable
May 27, 2015
A lot of those are scams. Just use cc cleaner to clean all your internet and temp files, works really good and then use malware bytes for malware/virus stuff, it's one of the better free versions out there. And then whatever anti virus software you have and that combo will find any bad stuff on your comp, most likely. Then defrag once a week at least if you have hdd.

DallasWizard

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Actually I find MalwareBytes to be worth exactly what you pay for it. I use is as my First Pass when cleaning up an infected machine.
When I am done, I remove it, because the default install loads a wad of startups that really slows down the computer.
Then I run AVG CloudCare to pick up everything (and it's usually a LOT) MWB missed. I've been doing this professionally for 30+ years and used every Anti-malware product on the market during that time. I worked for Symantec before I founded my own consulting company in 1994.

I never use registry cleaners because it's a good way to trash a perfectly functional machine. I use HiJack This to clear out obvious problems. I manually edit the registry once I know what I'm looking for. I then manually clear abandoned files and folders - carefully to get a smooth running machine. CClenare is great for some things, but there is simply no way to improve over manually removing rogue or abandoned registry entries when it comes to stabilizing a machine.

mudpuppet

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I don't buy into those. I used to work at OfficeMax some time ago, and if you had an issue with your computer, we would hook it up and run our own software that's similar. It would tell you if there was a virus detected, or if there were files that could be deleted etc. Honestly, the whole thing was a crock, and still is. Most of the time when it says there are files to delete, it's talking about temp files, or files sitting in your download folder. Even your recycle bin, if it has stuff in it, will trigger the unnecessary files. If you take it in to them, or BestBuy, I can almost guarantee that it will say you need to do/remove something!

If you're worried about bloat from having surfed and downloaded too many things, I would instead suggest you save all your data to an external source, format your drive, and do a clean install of your OS and programs. Yes it can detect some bloatware, and maybe let you know if there's a virus on your system, but there are other more reliable means of checking for the really bad stuff.

Solution

Bleac

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015

there is an easier and faster way to remove "bloat" then formatting and all PC's can do it, go to My Computer or Computer or My PC (depending on your OS) right click the drive you want, click properties (you'll see a pie chart) click Disk Cleanup. wait for it to load, near bottom left click Clean up system files and wait for it to load again. now you'll see a second tab at the top, click it, click Clean up for the system restore, this will delete all but the most resent restore file. click the delete on the pop up. click the first tab of the disk clean up of (drive name), make sure ALL boxes are checked, click Ok, click delete. one it is done, feel free to do the next drive if it is being monitored by your system restore. this can free up a LOT of drive space that slows down a pc. this works on win 98, XP, Vista, 7, and 10, all OS's i have used.

jCrazy

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
Personally I wouldn't even take the chance, it's not worth it turning out to be a virus. Just stick to well-known services and you should be fine!

Rodney_3

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

Hello, 5mins ago i downloaded turboYo for ur PC then AVG warned me about it containing Malware then got rid of it,so do'nt anyone fall for it!!:no:

Piper37

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
I haven't downloaded it and will not ever bother with stuff like this. All kinds of red flags on their web site; No matter where on the site you postion the cursor it will download the "stuff" if you click the mouse. Picture of Dell PCs at the top; I doubt that Dell gave their permission to use that pic. It implies approval from Dell and I doubt they would.
Sentence that insinuates something about Mircrosoft deliberately building PCs that fail? Microsoft doesn't really build PCs.
To me this site has scam written all over it.

photosanto

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
This is a scam. They exhibit classic tell tale signs:

1) The ad I clicked on took me to a webpage that showed that it was featured on several well known and respected media outlets. You know, like "As Seen On.... !". However, when these claims are real, they always have a link taking you to the third party website where it was actually featured or a You Tube video showing the program. THERE ARE NO LINKS.

2) I Googled TurboYourPC to see if any of those reviews they claimed on their website would show up in Google's search results. If it was really that well featured and talked about like their ad claimed, it would easily show up in the first two pages of Google's search results. Instead, NO HITS.

3) I went to their website (with some trepidation) and noticed that they say their website is secured with both Symantec and McAfee. That's hilarious! They are competing products and services. If a website is going to try to give you confidence in their security to help convince you to do business with them, they will list one or the other, or yet another product, but not both. They are just name dropping to prey on people you have heard of the names, but are not savy enough to understand what that really means.

BTW, I used to defrag my hardrive with legitimate utilities in the past, but modern operatings now have that built in and run automatically or can run automatically.

abccomp1

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
i just wanted to post a comment about mudpuppet's post. I am a I have 35 year of serious hard and software repair of Computers and I feel that what mudpuppet said in is post is "SOLID GOLD". The best advise I had ever given to all of my past thousands of repeat customers. A word of advise to others would be only go to websites you trust and you won't have to worry much about your pc slowing down. There many scam artists that lure you in for the best deal of the century or a miracle way to speed up or fix you PC when in fact those websites infect your PC instead.

HealingToolbox

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
TweakNow reg cleaner used to be free, used to work and actually speed up Windows machines. TweakNow was so good, so valuable, it became a trojan horse for malware but maybe still worth trying.

If you are some threshhold, DEFRAGMENTING WILL DEFINITELY SPEED UP COMPUTER PERFORMANCE. Sometimes a lot. Windows defragmenting thru Win 7 was famously junior due to anti-trust issues.

I switched to Mac. Windows 8.1 may be comparable to OSX as some reviewers have suggested. As of Dec 2015 I'm still with Snow Leopard as no iPhone and not interested in IOS. If boot volume of OSX 10.6.8 is 3% or more fragmented, I start getting "undocumented features" At 7% or 11% it becomes crucial to defragment. I'm unsure if speed improves but reliability goes back to 100%

Larry_17

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

You sound like an experienced computer user. I am too.
However, for those LESS experienced, I don't recommend Hijackthis without some extremely experienced help interpreting the results. Talk about bricking a PC quick!

CCleaner, Malwarebytes are great for what they do. But they wont make a slow machine faster all by themselves....

As for Reg editors...manually editing is fine for experienced users, but I have never had a problem with Glary Utilities (using it for about 5 years now). Its free, and will scan/repair registry files, and also help determine startup programs that you dont want to startup. I always include it when I build a computer, and when I help someone with theirs, and show them how to use it.
Hijackthis will help clean out malware and virus stuff, but you need to know what you are doing or it WILL cause you soem problems. Overall though, HJT is the best tool (I think) for malware finding and removal help.

Overall, no ONE program will do everything. If they claim it will they are lying. Some will clean up, some will detect, some will make system changes (good OR bad), and others are downright malware themselves.
Use caution, seek advice, and most of all LEARN about your computer!

allofthis

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
It has been working on my mum's computer. She is using an old Dell laptop with XP on it and obviously never bothered cleaning the system or deleting files from the registry (she wouldn't have a clue what to start ). So this was a good solution for her

rgd1101

Don't

buy her a new computer for Christmas

allofthis

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015

I wish I could afford it :( That's why I came here in the first place, to check out the bargain hunt section

rgd1101

Don't

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
and defrag the hdd after

As always, backup important data, just in case

MartinBUK

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
One of the problems in old systems like XP was the $MFT or the master file table. I found over time this would become full or fragmented and example of this small files would be stored directly in the $MFT. Thus when the table became full of otherwise fragmented disk access would be slowed. As I am a mac user now my knowledge of later MS OS's is near none so this is for information only. I home this helps someone. Oh thats why I used to do a format and reinstall every once in a while.