Is VR worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
i can save money maybe in a year or so so i can buy VR from what i understand HTC vive is the only good option facebook's rift is probably as crappy as facebook itself . so i thought why buy a 4k monitor when you can pay twice and buy a VR ?! what games can you play with it . just gta v or more ? is it exciting ? what about the motion sickness they say ?! thanks for your kind advices in advance

Solution

Your CPU and motherboard should be fine for VR. You won't need a PCIe card to add USB ports...

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I don't think VR is there yet.

First, it is expensive. You have to have a very powerful PC to avoid the motion sickness. I would not go VR with a GPU less than a 1080. When you factor in the cost of the PC and the VR headset, it will push you back 2k easily.

The other issue is software or games. Right now the software is very limited. There are a couple of games coming out such as Fallout 4 and Doom VR and the success of those games may help catapult VR. But right now you are paying a premium for a product that has limited use.

The Vive had the best initial reviews, but the rift has offered the necessary accessories to match the Vive. So right now, it is kind of a wash as long as you get room scale VR and motion controls.

But VR is still big and bulky with lots of wires. Considering the Vive and Rift have been out for almost 1.5 years, I would expect a new product to be released next year to address some of the issues. You may want to wait till the next VR product line comes out to see how they address some of the issues, lower pricing, and allow for more software to be developed.

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

Hi , i got a 1080 ! the only thing i'm missing is a usb 3.1 which i assume i can add via my pci express 1 slots ? right ?

my question is are the games limited to a specific brand ? like can i play htc vive's games on occulus rift or deepppn e2 ? i can't afford vive currently but i can go for cheaper stuff , so is it worth it ? can i play doomVR or other htc vive with cheaper stuff . i know they don't have vive's accessories can you tell me a lil bit about vive's accessories and what i can do if i buy something more affordable than vive ?!

Sakkura

Distinguished

The Oculus Rift is about as good as the HTC Vive, but for half the price and with better software support. It doesn't really have anything to do with Facebook itself at this point.

There have been a steady stream of high-profile releases especially since December of last year, so now the selection of games is getting pretty decent. That's as far as games developed specifically with VR in mind (either exclusively for VR, or with VR capability built in from the start). Lone Echo is one very nice recent release, along with its multiplayer spinoff Echo Arena. Here's the trailer:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pmV2mwAV9k"][/video]

Other games, like GTA V, can be "hacked" to work in VR with tools like VorpX, but it's both pretty fiddly and often doesn't work all that well. So don't expect to be playing all your favorite games in VR.

Your GTX 1080 is well suited for VR. What's your CPU and motherboard? As for USB, all you need is USB 3.0, AKA USB 3.1 gen 1.

The main game platforms right now are Steam and Oculus. With an Oculus Rift you have official support for both Steam and Oculus, with an HTC Vive you have official support for Steam but need the unofficial "Revive" tool to run Oculus games. But it generally works fine.

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Yes, you can get a usb 3.1 pcie card.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815548002&cm_re=usb_3.1_card-_-15-548-002-_-Product

There are exclusive content the VR headsets. I believe Doom and Fallout will only work on Vive. But there may be some mods or hacks available to make it work on another headset when it is released. Since Valve owns steam and is the developer of the Vive, I would think that there is a better opportunity for compatible games to align with Valve.

But this is very similar to the old console days before it was just Xbox and PlayStation. Their used to be Sega, Nintendo, Atari, Microsoft, Sony, and many others that no one remembers because their systems did not take off and the software was very limited. If you chose a console that did not do well, you essentially threw away your money because there were no games for it. This is another reason to be leery about jumping into VR, the platform chosen may not survive.

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

hi thanks for your reply , my cpu is a 4790 haswell and my mobo is a z97-k . so you say the blue usb 3.0 is enough ? and the red 3.1 not needed ? can i add 3.1 with the pic e 1x slots ??

so if you were me would you buy occulos rift now or save up for htc vive later ? i say cause i just checked doom VFR and it says htc vive nothing about occulos ?! what other stuff vive's got that occulas does not ? do you have yo use a gamepad or a steam controller instead ?! you certainly don't need to use the mouse and keyboard ?

can i play my current 2016 doom with occulos ? what other cool games there bro ? multiplayer too ?!

thanks for the info

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

so you're essentially saying vive is better than occulos ? what controllers does vive have that occulos misses ? lol

Sakkura

Distinguished

Your CPU and motherboard should be fine for VR. You won't need a PCIe card to add USB ports, unless you have a LOT of other stuff plugged in. Personally I'm using an older Core i5-3450 and Z75 motherboard, and it's doing fine.

I would either go for an Oculus Rift now, or wait for new headsets; the Vive is simply not worth it at all. There is a new SteamVR headset in development from LG, like a new Vive, but it's not going to be a full generation ahead, more like a minor update. Truly next-gen VR headsets aren't expected until 2019 or maybe in time for Christmas in 2018.

Doom VFR uses SteamVR, and thus it will work on the Oculus Rift. The reason they don't advertise it is that Zenimax are in a lawsuit against Oculus/Facebook. Doom VFR is a reworked version of Doom (2016), which otherwise isn't made for VR (again, you could "hack" VR support with VorpX, but I don't think it would be a good experience like that).

Since the Vive uses SteamVR, which explicitly supports the Rift as well, all games that run on a Vive will also run on an Oculus Rift.

VR games either use the motion controllers that come with the headset, or a traditional gamepad. Keyboard and mouse is rarely used for VR, it's pretty awkward.

There are lots of other good games. Arizona Sunshine for solo or co-op zombie shooting, Onward or Pavlov are multiplayer shooters, and then there's Robo Recall, Superhot VR, Thumper, The Climb, Star Trek Bridge Crew... even simple things like Eleven Table Tennis (just a table tennis game, but it's fun).

Solution

jimmyEatWord

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

thanks for the kind replies mate , i have a bit of an OCD , are you sure Doom VFR works with rift too ? thanks again

Sakkura

Distinguished
Even if the developer/publisher tries to block Rift users out of spite, it will be very easy to mod a workaround.

Google did try to block Rift users when they first launched Google Earth VR, because they were developing an Oculus-specific version and didn't want Oculus users to run the Steam version. That block was quickly circumvented by the community. The same would happen with Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR if they try to block people.

In the other direction, the games that are only on the Oculus platform all need a workaround to run on a Vive. But even that works well enough. So at the end of the day, Rift and Vive basically have access to all the same games.

adamscurr

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
From my experience, you can run any rift game on the vive... And I'm pretty sure you can run any vive game on the rift... They should honestly just make them more officially cross capable because it makes each platform money whether you buy their hardware or not...

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
"the main reason i ask this is cause i own tons of games and non of them excite me anymore .. can i play titanfall 2 on which VR please ?"

Is VR worth it?
Yes, in that it creates an emotional and physical reaction that most gamers can't get from 2d screens. It is that sense of immersion you had as a kid staring at a screen of battletoads. Each console, you are searching for that deeper more immersive fix. Eventually, you are playing Left4Dead and all you see are targets. There is no excitement and there is no fear.

You throw on a VR headset, and suddenly you are trapped in a room with 1 zombie, slowly shuffling towards you. Yes, this zombie isn't as graphically detailed, and you see a screendoor effect.. but your mind is tricked. Your mind screams, "Flight or Fight!" and your SuperEgo is repeating, "There is no spoon".

SO, is VR worth it?
What is it worth to feel a bit of excitement in a game? What is the experience worth?

For me, it was. (mind you, I was DK2 and Month 1 HTC).
It was something novel and exciting that I could experience and share with friends. I love being part of the community at the cutting edge of technology and entertainment. That said, it is a lot like your first IMAX movie. At first your mind just can't comprehend the awesomeness of it. You swear you'll never go to a regular theater ever again. After a few viewings, you get accustom to it, and you really don't want to turn your head to see all the parts of the screen. Same with VR. After a bit, you are like.. "I just want to slack on the couch and game, and not do a whole physical experience.)

But again... I haven't felt these degrees of fear or excitement in games outside of VR in a long-ass time... and this is just generation #1 of commercial VR systems. We are in the Atari / Coleco vision versions of VR. It's gonna get bigger and better in the future.

In conclusion... as all my answers to this question go,
Yes it is worth it, but it is a luxury item, so make sure you are financially responsible and debt free before starting a VR lifestyle.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Lastly:
"the Vive is simply not worth it at all." ! Sakkura

The dude is totally up in the kool-aid on this one. HTC Vive is a wonderful product and is a force of good, where Oculus has a troubled past, what with their founder using his tech-weath to run an internet trolling organization, and having to pay Zenimax a lot of $$$ for patent infringement.

See article from Business Insider:
http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-zenimax-oculus-vr-lawsuit-explained-2017-2/#carmack-got-the-prototype-headset-from-palmer-luckey-the-impossibly-young-face-of-the-oculus-rift-he-was-repeatedly-held-up-as-the-genius-inventor-behind-the-headset-2

The bad thing about VR is ya got to pick a side like PS or Xbox, and then it gets all console-warish.

Here is what you need to know. (imo)
- Oculus is cheaper. ($460 vs $600 for mostly equivalent)
- Oculus has built in headphones.
- Vive has better roomscale.
- Vive has better camera / lighthouse solution. (no running usb cables around the room.)
- Oculus headset is more comfortable (per most reviews.)
- Game availability is mostly equivalent
- Both are better solutions to the PSVR.

Now, that all said.. at the start the rift is a better deal. If you don't have a giant open room, you likely don't care too much for a giant roomscale. Since the news that the Vive lighthouses 2.0 may not be backwardly compatible with the current version of HTC Vive, it is likely that the next gen will be a completely upgraded system. So, there are a lot of questions on HTC Vive's business decisions moving forward with all the new tech. Simply put, you may not be able to upgrade the HTC Vive, so if we compare the two systems just out of the box, Rift does have the advantage.

Would I bet on Oculus in the long term in the VR wars? No, not unless they have some secret weapon. We are talking Steam vs Facebook for gaming. Oculus has fumbled the F- out of the ball like IBM did with the Personal Computer. Question comes down to, can they recover with anything more than price-undercuts? It's a curious question, and what makes following VR news so interesting.

Personally.. I was pro-Rift, and then..
- VIve announced room-scale.
- Oculus controllers weren't shipping on release.
- Their owner came out in support for Trump and really as a complete douche.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Pretty clear who's the fanboy here.

The Vive cost twice as much as the Rift, for essentially the same functionality. That's just not worth it at all. Since I posted, the Vive price has been cut by $200, making it at least look less ridiculously overpriced. It's still a fairly substantial deficit compared to the Rift though.

The HTC Vive is a wonderful product. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a good deal. If the Rift had been the one costing twice as much as the Vive, I certainly would have recommended the Vive.

Oculus doesn't have a troubled past, they're an almost new organization.

Their co-founder used a few thousand bucks on some political shenanigans. So what? Completely irrelevant to the product.

Patent infringement? That's just misinformation.

Feb 16, 2018
You shouldn't be advising anyone on whether it's worth it or not when you don't even own it yourself, or have tried any of the games...so called 'experts' that don't even know what they are talking about.. The vive Pro is coming out,, maybe wait for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.