News Is Windows Defender good enough for my new laptop?

Dec 24, 2021
Windows 10 and Windows 11 laptops now come with built-in Microsoft antivirus software. But is it good enough?

Is Windows Defender good enough for my new laptop? : Read more
As someone who focuses on cybersecurity for Microsoft, I can attest that this article is factually untrue. Microsoft Defender still protects Windows workstations from malware and viruses even if you use Chrome or some other productivity applications. The nuance is that SmartScreen (which is an element of the Defender suite of capabilities) would not be natively integrated into Chrome. HOWEVER, there is a browser extension for Chrome (and Firefox) so that it can be re-added. As for the productivity application integration, I dont even know what that means in the context of Office and once again, I talk about this publicly for a living. You would still be protected regardless of the productivity application used.

Dec 25, 2021
As someone who focuses on cybersecurity for Microsoft, I can attest that this article is factually untrue. Microsoft Defender still protects Windows workstations from malware and viruses even if you use Chrome or some other productivity applications. The nuance is that SmartScreen (which is an element of the Defender suite of capabilities) would not be natively integrated into Chrome. HOWEVER, there is a browser extension for Chrome (and Firefox) so that it can be re-added. As for the productivity application integration, I dont even know what that means in the context of Office and once again, I talk about this publicly for a living. You would still be protected regardless of the productivity application used.

Yep. This article is just plain wrong and misleading.

Dec 26, 2021
Like you said I am not sure what browser you use has to do with rather defender will work or not. It's going to work regardless of your browser as long as you have defender running and didnt disable it. Will you get better results if you use Edge also along with it. Sure Edge has some of its own built in security that will work along with Defender but, using chrome or another browser isn't going to disable Defender from running and working. Not sure what using Office or Teams has to do with Defender at all. You can very much use Slack or anything and Defender really doesn't care.